Chapter 12

The evening winded down welcoming the chilly 7pm breeze and the starry, moonlit sky overhead. The day had ended on a positive note with Terese announcing that she was currently five months pregnant and is excited to start a new life with Mr. Moore. Everyone bid their congratulations and ate delicous Black Forest and Red Velvet Cakes that were served. Men of age drank many rounds of Champagne and Piña Colada as they struggled to hold their liquor at the mini bar that was set up. Well, not everyone's evening ended on a positive note. After Jaxon had left he did not return. I later spotted Ava who appeared quite upset and hardly uttered a word for the remaining of the event. Her face was flushed and her always so vibrant green eyes portrayed mixed emotions of dismay and disappointment.

My parents had gathered in the living room biding goodbyes and sending well wishes to the soon to be family bonded by marriage. I was sat on the couch almost impatient to get home, my lethargic nature hinting that my physical and social battery was running low. Teresa and the guys were in the kitchen nearby taking shots while Jessica had kicked off her shoes and was tuned in to the TV that was streaming an episode of the Amazing World of Gumball. She kicked her feet and laughed as she stayed unbothered and entertained by the inanimate object that hung on the wall.

"It has been a lovely evening and such lovely entertainment," my dad commended exchanging handshakes with Mr. Moore.

"We're having a gender reveal in a couple weeks. I hope you can both make it," Terese smiled rubbing her belly.

"I bet it's a girl!" mom said excitedly.

"Ugh. Please. I hope it's a boy," Terese laughed.

"Fingers crossed," mom said before hugging her friend good-bye.

"Let's go sweetie, won't keep you waiting," she said looking at me who quickly rose from the couch.

"Bye, Jessica," I sung.

"Bye, Maya. I hope to see you again," she beamed.

I smiled and headed towards the door behind my parents. Just as dad was about to turn the knob I heard footsteps coming down the stairs. I flung my head around and saw the moody teenage boy followed by Ava. His face that was previously distorted with a scowl was now back to his normal resting face which was similar to a frown. Ava waved at me while her boyfriend gave me a little smile before I disappeared out the door.

* * * *

After returning from the event I took a shower and laid on my bed watching a romcom I had put on. I was slowly dozing off when a knock on the door awoken me.

"Come in," I acknowledged.

I watched as the door swung inwards and my mom, dressed in her night robe, walked in.

"Sorry to disturb you, sweetie," she said making her way towards my bed.

"It's fine, mom," I said sitting up rubbing my eyes.

She sat down on the bed beside me.

"I was telling Mr. Moore how much of a brilliant math student you are. He was pretty impressed," she spoke proudly.

"I appreciate it, mom," I smiled waiting to hear what was to follow.

"Turns out her daughter, Jessica, isn't so good at Math and would really like some assistance in tutoring her," she continued.

I paused for a moment.

"He wants me to be Jessica's Math tutor?" I repeated.

"He mentioned Monday and Wednesdays being the best days. He even offered to pay. What do you think?"