𝟎𝟒

taylor sat at the bar, sipping on a long island iced tea

taylor sat at the bar, sipping on a long island iced tea. her third long island iced tea.

"hey."

she looked over to see a really cute guy with a buzz cut and some facial hair. he was pretty cute, but he looked slightly older than her. and by slightly, he was most likely almost thirty whilst taylor's twenty-one.

she remembered her twenty-first birthday. she remembered it all too well.

"tay, please. i really, really do wanna fix things." jack said, over the phone.

"you've said that so many times, jack. how do i know that you mean it?" she questioned.

"i do. i swear i do. i only broke up with you because you...you deserve better than me. you deserve real love, but...but i can't live without you." he replied.

she exhaled. "okay. come to my twenty-first birthday celebration on saturday. we can eat some cake, have some fun. then we can talk it out. we can just...just talk."

"okay. i'll be there. i—i love you."

"yeah." she whispered.

he cleared his throat. "okay, well, i'll see you saturday."

"mhm. bye, jack."

"bye, love."

taylor swallowed hard then hung up and lied back on her bed. though she was sad, she couldn't help but smile. maybe things would work out with jack.

saturday finally came and taylor put on a simple, but cute outfit.

abby obviously showed up first, but more and more friends started to come after abby.

they were going to have dinner, her parents included, then do cake and presents. and her parents were going to allow her to have a drink. to be fair it was her twenty-first birthday, but it's not like she hasn't drank before.

as the night went on, taylor continued to look at the door, waiting for jack, but he never came.

she pretended to have a good time, but it wasn't complete without jack.

after everyone had left, taylor sat alone with a piece of cake at the table and tissue paper littering the floor.

she stared at the cake as her parents cleaned up the tissue paper.

when they were finished, her father sat down next to her.

"you okay, t?" he asked.

she just shrugged.

"i know you love jack. i like the boy too, but maybe it isn't isn't meant to be. i mean, it's supposed to be fun turning twenty-one."

"i know, daddy." she replied.