ill be here awhile

I'll be here awhile-311

Y/ns pov

I wake up to a tap on my shoulder. "Hey." Linda says.

"Is it time?" I ask. She nods and gives me a sad smile. "I'll grab your bag. Come out when you are ready." She says.

She leaves, and I look back at Joel. I brush the hair out of his face. He moves into my touch.

I caress his cheek. His lips were still red from when we kissed. He snores softly. I kiss his forehead. "Goodbye, Miller." I say.

I get up and walk out. Tess was out in the hallway. "I just wanted to say goodbye one last time, thank you for being my friend, I mean Joel's alright, but you were different. I'm gonna miss you." She says as she hugs me.

"I'll never forget you, tess." I say. She hugs me tighter. "Not to rush you or anything, but we have to go." Mikaela says.

"Right. Goodbye tess." I say. She smiles at me. Linda hands me my bag. "Mommy?" I hear behind me.

I turned and saw a girl around 10 or 11. She was holding a baby. "Oh hey sweet pea, this is our friend, y/n, she is coming with us." Linda says.

"Why don't you give me Liam? We are leaving soon." Linda says.

The little girl hands liam to Linda.

"We have to go, I have to let Maxwell know we are leaving." Linda says.

We go down the stairs and leave the building. We all crouch down as we make our way to the alley.

We see Maxwell, and he gives us a thumbs up. We rush over to him. "I'll go around one more time, I'll give you the signal and you run like hell to the east side, Cam will be there to keep look out while you squeeze through the hole in the fence." Maxwell explains.

"Does he have the seeds?" Mikaela asks. "Yeah, he got you guys vegetable and fruit seeds. He also got you guys some cans of food for the road as well."

Linda nods, and Maxwell leaves. He gives us the green light, and we take off, we run around east building and see Cam. "Thus food should last a month and if you careful enough the seeds will last you forever. It was a pleasure working with you. Good luck." Cam says.

He looks around the corner and nods. We run and slip through the fence. "Mommy.. I'm stuck!" The little girl says. "I got her. You go." I say.

I help the little girl through, and she runs to her mom's.

I look back and see Joel looking at me through the window. He waves.

I smile and wave. I take off and catch up with the others.

We walked for what felt like hours. "My shoes untied. Can you hold the baby?" Linda asks me.

I hold the baby while she ties her shoes. "We should rest for a while." Mikaela suggests sitting down.

We all sit down, and I sway with the baby. He starts crying. I shush him. "It's ok.. I got you. Sh sh sh."

"Can you get my my bag? There should be a little blanket in there, I can make it like a little baby hammock, I used to do it with my nephew." I say.

Linda tosses me the blanket, I swaddle the baby and tie the blanket around me. I bounce the baby as he calms down.

He eventually falls asleep.

"I'm Caroline." I see a small hand reach out to me.

I shake her hand. "It's nice to meet you, Caroline."

She smiles at me. "I'm 10 years old, my favorite color is purple, and I am learning to knit like my Aunt Meredith."

Meredith.. I forgot Mere...