Chapter 37: Temporal Freeze

Location: Kenji's Lab

Coordinates: near Spotlighted Levincia

The future

"Where's your Pokémon, Sada?" Kenji studied the Pokémon Center's lobby and walls. "Did he go back in his pokéball?"

Sada hesitantly shook her head. "No. Miraidon doesn't like staying in his pokéball. I'm not sure where he went, Kenji. Knowing him, though, he probably went outside for some fresh air. Hopefully, he'll be back soon." She and Kenji headed for the center's double black doors. "Does Turo want me to bring him?"

"I think he prefers you come alone."

"I thought so." Sada sighed. "That's typical of him. Well, what are we waiting for? Let's go." She gulped when she read the sign above the double black doors. "Kenji's Lab."

What happened next started with a tug in her tummy. Kenji's Lab, Kenji's Lab. There was something so familiar about it. Sada felt like an undertow had caught her. And then, it hit. Oh, no. "No, no, no!" Whirling around, she tried to escape.

Kenji pushed on her palms like he was trying to break through a shield. He kept his voice steady and muse-like. "Hey, I'm right here."

"Kenji, you don't understand. I never thought I'd find myself here again." The last time Sada was, she became Project Infrared. "Why didn't you tell me Turo's lab was yours?"

"Because you wouldn't have come." Kenji's face reddened with his words.

Sada scoffed. "No offense, Kenji, but you're doing a poor job hiding the fact that you have a crush on me." Eyes narrowing, she moved so close to him that their lips almost touched. For a minute, Sada wanted to kiss him. "Let me make myself clear. If you think you're getting a wife out of this, forget it. I'm not doing this for you, Iron Bundle, or Turo. I'm doing this for my children."

"You...? But... you're dead."

"You son of a—!" Sada slapped Kenji across the cheek again. "Professor Sada is dead, not AI Sada!" She snatched his shirt and shoved him against the wall. It was next to the double doors. "Do I look dead to you, huh? I don't want you to say that ever again! Do you understand?"

"Ye-Yes, ma'am." Kenji's voice shook. He refused to make a move on Sada, just in case.

Eventually, she released him, "Good," and calmed herself. "You're brave, Sada, you're brave. You're doing this for your family." Regardless, as soon as she and Kenji entered the double doors and found themselves in a slick, empty hallway behind them, she became more disturbed. The journey to a familiar staircase at the end of it did it for her, and she attempted to escape again.

Kenji kneed her back and forced her down the hallway. "I thought you were trying to learn to be brave, you big Rowlet."

"Kenji, you don't know what I've been through here." Sada wanted no memories of what happened.

"While I don't know the full extent of what Turo did," Kenji argued, "I do know it was inhumane and childish of him. He was never like that when I worked with him. I'm here, Sada, because of him, and I want him back just as much as you and Celebi. What we need, though, is a plan, and I think I've got one." From there, he hid behind his hand and whispered in Sada's ear.

***

The room Sada found herself in was rectangular-shaped and enormous. Lines of artificial intelligence robots, both people and Pokémon, filled it. It was like Sada had stumbled into a futuristic army base, and she did not like it.