41

quinn
I need you dressed and ready to leave
your place in 30 minutes

scout
don't you prefer me undressed

quinn
I prefer you when you don't argue on
the smallest things

scout
okay
well i prefer you to give me days notice
before plans but here we are

quinn
Will it help if I tell you what the plans
actually are

scout
yeah

quinn
That's too bad
I'm not allowed to i'm only the messenger

scout
who on earth is making plans for me
through you

quinn
Not allowed to say
Just get ready

scout
facetime me so i can complain some more

quinn
I think you want me to see you
getting changed so you can try and
get out of these plans

scout
whaaaaaat
i would never
would it work?

quinn
No but we'd be late

scout
damn it
facetime me anyways

* * * * *

"What am I supposed to say, Scout?" Quinn's ushering me into some restaurant. "Sorry we're late we were fucking?"

I shrug. "At least it'd be honest."

"You're the worst."

"Don't act like I forced you to—" My feet stop walking. Quinn comes crashing into me as I try and catch my breath. I'm surprised I didn't gasp out loud.

"Keep it going," Quinn says.

I feel unsteady on my feet. I hate surprises. I love this one. See the conflict? Jack stands up as we get to the table and next thing I know, I'm throwing my arms around him. Jesus, I'm getting so soft I'm turning into Val.

"I missed you," I say as we pull away. Then, I even repeat it as I hug Luke.

Quinn pulls out my chair for me and rolls his eyes. "Took me months to get her to say that."

"Thanks for being on time, guys," Luke says with the most attitude in his voice Ive ever heard from him.

"Well, we—"

"She wasn't ready when I got there," Quinn interrupts.

"Yeah, I was and then someone here got c—"

His hand shoots up to cover my mouth because of course he slid his chair over to be practically right next to mine. I shake my head and motion to my silencing while his brothers just laugh. Quinn uses his hand to turn my head. A silent conversation that ends with me agreeing to give it a rest comes out of the eye contact.

"God forbid a woman be honest," I say the moment his hand goes to my thigh instead of my mouth.

Jack holds back his laugh. "So it's Quinny's fault you're late?"

"No," Quinn says.

"Yes," I say at the same time.

"Spare us the details," Luke mumbles.

"Wait, no. I want the de—" Jack's face completely drops into horror. His voice joins, "You guys were late because you were fucking?"

"Oh my god, I said no details."