21. Breaking Point

Jakob never forgot that first person he served. He didn't like to think of them as being his masters – that made him feel too much like a slave. And even though that's exactly what he was, he still didn't like to be reminded of it if he could help it. But whatever he decided to call them, he couldn't help but be a little grateful to that first one; whether the man meant to or not, he taught Jakob a lot.

He taught Jakob how to read, gave him valuable practice in granting wishes, and didn't keep him locked up in that bottle. Jakob wouldn't realize until later just how lucky he really was. And learning so much made it easier the next time. Each time he had to serve a new one, it got a little easier. He didn't remember all the people he'd been forced to serve – they all started to blend together after a while. And since most of them didn't think of him as a person anyway, it was easier not to think of them that way either. But that didn't mean Jakob forgot their wishes.

Jakob's second master was a woman who wished for beauty, renown, and wealth. Next he had a man who wanted to be undefeated in battle, have plenty of land, and of course, wealth. And after that came someone who wanted to be adored by everyone they met, young forever, and to have a kingdom to rule over. It seemed to Jakob that almost everyone wished for either more gold than they could ever spend or to be liked by everyone around them. Of course, more than a few of them wished for both.

Jakob had been doing this for several centuries when he found himself in Spain. The bottle was opened, and the next thing Jakob knew, he was standing face-to-face with a rather dowdy woman in a green scarf. She looked Jakob up and down, taking in his silver cuffs and lack of shirt. Mentally, Jakob shrugged; he'd gotten used to that look a couple hundred years ago.

"Well, look at you." the woman smiled.

Jakob just stared at her, already sizing her up. Shallow, arrogant, maybe a little on the stupid side. Definitely no imagination. He figured the first thing she'd ask for would be eternal beauty. The house seemed larger than most he'd seen recently, so he figured she wouldn't ask for gold. No, her second wish would probably be for fame. Or if she already had that, some sort of diversion. He wondered what rich people did in this city. Probably the same as the last eight places he'd been.

"What can I do for you?" he asked when he finally got tired of her staring at him like he was a prize she'd just won.

"Oh, and it talks." the woman clapped her hands together happily.

Well, this was going to be great, Jakob thought. Now he was being referred to as it, and apparently was too stupid for conversation. The sooner he could get this over with, the better.

"You have something you'd like?" he asked again.

"Of course, dear. For starters, I'd like to be beautiful."

Jakob nodded – he knew it. He waved his hand and suddenly the woman was actually attractive.

"Is there anything else I can do?" he asked politely.

"Wait here – let me get my mirror." she told him.

She returned a few minutes later, looking-glass in hand. She stared at her reflection all the way back to her seat. Shallow, Jakob confirmed to himself. Finally, she managed to tear her eyes away from her own reflection and look back up at Jakob. The expression on her face suddenly made him uncomfortable.

"Well, come here." the woman told him, smiling coyly. "Don't be so shy."

Obediently, Jakob walked towards the woman. Suddenly, he really wished he was standing in front of anybody else – even his sixth master would be preferable to her.

"What's the matter?" she asked, batting her eyelashes at him. "Don't you like me?"

"You're very pretty." Jakob told her.