34. Even Ben Knows

The bell finally rang and Megan all but ran out of the room, brushing past Jake as she left. Maybe it was immature, but she couldn't help it. He was sitting there, talking to Greg like nothing had even happened. And sure, she told him not to talk to her today, but couldn't he at least pretend to be a little sad about it? He'd been sitting over there like he didn't have a care in the world.

She went out to the field, looking forward to track. She figured it'd be a good way to work out all of that anger she'd been building up all day. Not to mention the fact that it would be the first time he wasn't in the same room with her in almost eight hours!

As she finished practice, Megan was glad to realize she actually did feel better after all that running. That is, until she got in the car with her brother. Ben looked over at Megan, giving her that kind of grin she was starting to associate with guys making trouble for her.

"What?" she asked, even though she wasn't really sure she wanted to know – especially not today.

"Nothing." Ben looked back over his shoulder as he put the car in reverse. But he couldn't help but add, "So where's that kid you're always with?"

"What do you mean?" Megan asked as casually as she could.

"Don't give me that look." he told her. "You know exactly who I'm taking about – that guy who's always hanging around with you after track – the one who came over before you guys went to the movie yesterday. Is that your boyfriend?"

"What?" was all Megan could think to say. Did he really have to do this now?

"What do you mean?" she asked finally, pretending like she had no idea what he could be talking about. With any luck, he couldn't tell how fast her heart was suddenly beating.

"Are you really going to play that way?" Ben sighed in exasperation. "Jake right?"

"Oh, him?" Megan asked, trying to stall for time. Somehow, with everything that had been going on, it had never really occurred to her that she might need to make up an excuse as to who Jake actually was. "He's nobody – just a kid in my class."

"Just a kid in your class?" Ben wasn't buying it. "And he came over and made dinner for us because...?"

"Oh...Yeah..." Megan had completely forgotten about that. "He was helping me study, and we got hungry..." Megan squirmed. It was a pretty lame excuse, but what else could she say?

"He on the track team with you?" Ben asked.

Megan hesitated. She thought about lying, but what was the point? Besides, with Jake hanging around so much, any lie she did tell was bound to come back to her anyway.

"Well, no." she said finally.

"So is he your boyfriend then?" Ben asked. He had a kind of knowing smirk that Megan didn't like.

"No." Megan told him emphatically.

"Uh-huh." Ben said. "So how long have you guys been going out?"

"I don't know." Megan mumbled dejectedly. She wanted to say since never, but what was the point? Everyone at school was already convinced that Jake was her boyfriend. And now it looked like her family would be reaching the same conclusion.

"How did you know about him anyway?" she sighed resignedly.

"Drew told me." Ben said.

"He did?" Megan could hardly believe it.

"Yeah – he said your whole school knew." Ben replied. "Was it supposed to be a secret or something?"

Of course! Megan could have kicked herself! She and Jake were two of the most liked people at school; it was only natural that everyone would know that they were dating – leaving aside the fact that Jake might have arranged for everyone to know on purpose. And Drew wouldn't have realized it wasn't true. Of course he'd blab it to Ben; he probably didn't even think it was a big deal.