41. Maybe it's Mutual

"So, you want to do something tonight?" Megan asked.

"Sure, what were you thinking of?" Jake asked.

"Whatever you want. I just thought it might be nice..." she shrugged.

Jake looked up from his book. It occurred to him that she was nervous. But why would she be? Actually, she'd been kind of like that the whole week – ever since she got him out of that bottle. Suddenly he found himself reviewing the last few days.

Had he been acting any different? He didn't think so. Sure, he'd been a little cautious, but nothing too drastic. Still, maybe he should make more of an effort. He did actually like her, even after all that had happened, and he didn't want to alienate her.

In fact, it kind of annoyed him how much he liked her. Maybe that's why the whole bottle thing bothered him so much; he would have thought she of all people would give him a chance to explain before sending him away like that.

Still, he tried to reason with himself – it wasn't actually that bad; he'd had much worse done to him. Really, the problem was that he'd started to feel like a real person again, and getting banished like that just reminded him how far from normal he'd really fallen. But that would have happened anyway after her third wish; it wasn't really her fault. Jake set his jaw, suppressing a sigh. This whole thing would be a lot less complicated if he didn't still actually like her.

"Jake?" she asked cautiously.

"Sorry." he shook his head to clear it. "What would you like to do?" he asked.

He sounded a little distant, even to himself. Maybe he should try that again.

"What do you feel like?" That was better.

"Well, I don't know. I just thought you'd want to do something. I mean you seem kinda down, and I don't know..." Megan mumbled, looking embarrassed. "Never mind. Sorry I mentioned it."

"No, we should do something." Jake said decisively. And not just because he wanted her to be happy; it would be good to get out, stop thinking so much.

"Like what?" Megan asked. "You pick."

"Movies?" Jake asked, shrugging. "I don't really know what people do." he admitted.

"I guess that makes sense." Megan said, thinking. Then she brightened. "Have you ever had ice cream before?"

"Actually, no." he told her. At least, none that he hadn't made himself, but he was pretty sure that didn't count.

"Then you're in for a treat." she grinned. "There's a really great place just a few blocks from here."

"Sounds good." he said, and for the first time in almost a week, he meant it.

The whole way there, Megan did nothing but tell him how much he was going to love it – how there were all sorts of different flavors, how he could get combos or sprinkles or pieces of candy on it. Jake laughed; he might never have been before, but he was pretty sure he knew what to expect.

The shop was brightly lit and actually pretty crowded. The counter had a glass window in front, showcasing row after row of ice cream tubs. They walked around to the back of the line, Jake still staring at all those tubs.

"Ok, you were right – there's kind of a lot." he told Megan.

"I know, right? So what are you going to get?"

"I have no idea." he said.

How was he supposed to choose? He didn't even know what half of these flavors were supposed to taste like. He'd never had a birthday cake, or a strawberry cheesecake. And what was a blue raspberry supposed to taste like? It sounded like the kind of mistake he'd get in trouble for making.