Prologue

Ten year old Annie and her younger brother lay in the grass late one summer evening and watch the fireflies waltz over their heads as the crickets stridulate around them

Ten year old Annie and her younger brother lay in the grass late one summer evening and watch the fireflies waltz over their heads as the crickets stridulate around them. The southern air is hot and thick as Annie wiggles her toes deeper into the cool green blades growing up from the earth below.

"Annie, whadda you wanna be when you grow up?" Her brother asks.

"I don't know, I ain't ever given it much thought."

He rolls to his side and looks at her through the mop of blonde hair on his head, "Well, why not?"

Annie stares in wonder as two fireflies dip down and dance right above her face, before retreating. She smiles.

"Annie?"

She turns to look at her brother, "Jimmy, haven't you ever noticed how unhappy momma and daddy seem doin' what they do?"

"Yeah, but..."

"If they doin' what they always wanted to do, then why ain't they happy?" She asks, turning back to watch the performance in the sky above them.

"I guess I ain't never thought about it like that."

Jimmy's quiet for a moment, before rolling back on his back after he's adjusted so his head is closer to his sisters.

"Well, if you ain't thought about what ya wanna be... what do ya dream about."

"Happiness." Annie smiles again and lifts her hand, trying to touch one of the bugs. It whirls around her finger like a little sprite around a bonfire before flying off.

"But how ya gonna be happy if you ain't dreamin' 'bout what ya wanna be?" Jimmy ponders out loud.

"I dream about where I wanna be." Annie murmurs.

He turns his head to look at his sister again, "What does that mean?"

"I don't know that it's about doin' what makes you happy, I think it might be about where makes you happy. About the adventure. Momma and daddy ain't got no adventure."

"Doesn't being here make ya happy?"

"Of course it does. But it's so hot and moist all the time." Annie wrinkles her nose.

"Ain't it hot and moist everywhere?" Jimmy scratches his head.

"Maybe, but I wanna go somewhere where the trees change colors. Somewhere they show their own emotions."

"You wanna go north?" Her brother stills in surprise.

"Yeah."

"Didn't GrandPap say nothin' good comes out of goin' north?"

Jimmy reaches over his head and pulls out a strand of tall grass to try to poke the bugs with.

"Yeah, but grandpap ain't happy either."

Jimmy absentmindedly waves the tall weed around. "You think happiness is north?"

"I think somewhere I can lay under the Sugar Maple trees and watch 'em change colors is my happiness." Annie sighs dreamily. "Ain't you ever listened to Nana before she died? She said git outta here, go find your happiness."

"Yeah, but I always thought she was just tryna git us out her kitchen." Jimmy laughs.

Annie smiles and laughs too, but then her face grows serious.

"No. I think she meant get outta this town Jimmy and if you git a chance, I think you should take it." Annie says, finally sitting up, causing the lightning bugs to scatter.