Two

Professor Hayden Brown was in a bad mood

Professor Hayden Brown was in a bad mood. To be fair, he was almost always in a bad mood. This morning though, he had unlocked a new level when one of his graduate students suggested they further discuss her abominable dissertation proposal over cocktails. All the insinuation of the damned had seeped into her flirtatious smile before the professor had shut her down and sent her packing with tears in her eyes.

Afterwards, he'd planned to eat lunch in his office while reviewing his new TA's most recent batch of graded papers to confirm they were a good fit for the position. However, upon inspection of his meal, he realized the salad dropped off to him had wilted lettuce and getting food poisoning might be the straw that finally breaks the camel's back for him.

Which is how he found himself stomping through the dining hall, glaring over the heads of undergraduate students. They dart in front of him here and there before disappearing, fearing the look on his face as he marches towards one of the cafeteria aids standing by a register.

"Excuse me." He says, his tone cold.

The woman in front of him turns around, a bright smile on her face.

"Hi." She says in the thickest country accent he's ever heard and he's momentarily stunned.

He was expecting a student. Someone he felt he could further take his anger out on. Not what appeared to be a lowly cafeteria worker who actually seemed to be enjoying her job.

"How can I help you?" She continues, tilting her head, a bit perplexed by his silence.

Her smile falters a bit as Professor Brown stares her down. His balled fist expands and flexes by his side.

The woman is petite, she can't be over five foot five, especially in the black Keds that match her uniform. Her skin holds a deep tan despite her obvious Caucasian roots which he would place as being Eastern European, her blonde hair is in a neat bun piled high on the top of her head and her hazel eyes are bright and excited.

Excited about what, he isn't sure.

"Where is Frank?"

"Mr. Keller? I'm not sure, can I help?" She smiles again.

"My salad was delivered with wilted lettuce. It's inedible. That's not the standard I've come to expect from this school's hospitality group." He states, sternly.

"I'm so sorry, professor? I assume?" She shakes her head. "I'm not sure who delivered it, but I could get ya another, if ya like?"

Her smile grows crooked as her eyebrows gather at the center in a sympathetic gesture.

Sympathy? What the fuck?

Professor Brown's irritation grows. "I'd prefer to speak with Frank."

"I can let him know when I see him. Professor?"

His teeth grind together as he pinches the bridge of his nose, "Brown. My name is Professor Brown."

When he looks back up, the woman is grinning at him.

"What the fuck are you so happy about?" He sighs in exasperation.

"What are you so mad about?" She laughs.

"I'm not mad."

"You're not?" She allows her gaze to trail down his body, before it comes back up to meet his eyes. Then she crosses her arms and leans against the counter. "You sure look mad."

His scowl deepens. "Look, Miss."

"Annie." She says. "My name is Annie, Professor Brown, and I'd be happy to get you another salad and let Mr. Keller know you stopped by. We can't have you gettin' sick, too many people need you at your best." She walks forward and places a hand on his arm. "Why don't you wait here? I'll be right back. It was a Caesar, right?"

Professor Brown rocks back just slightly at her touch and her kindness. He was used to neither. He also didn't remember telling her it had been a Caesar salad.

The young woman doesn't wait for an answer as she moves swiftly through the students and through a door towards the kitchen. She emerges ten minutes later, just about the time Professor Brown thought he might finally lose it, and smiles broadly as she hands over a box.

"What, did you have to make one?" He snaps.

"Bless your heart. Yes I did, actually. Practically had to pluck the chicken too." She lifts her chin and bats her eyelashes. "Enjoy your salad, Professor."

With that, the woman returns to register to greet the growing line of students, effectively dismissing Professor Brown.

Being dismissed was not something the professor was used to either and as he slowly turns to leave he's not quite sure how that makes him feel.