Four

Doctor Landon Green hold's out a scotch on the rocks, "Here you are, my friend

Doctor Landon Green hold's out a scotch on the rocks, "Here you are, my friend."

Professor Brown nod's a thank you and they clink glasses before he sips the amber liquid.

It's Sunday evening and Professor Emeritus Daphne Green is hosting one of her infamous happy hour parties. This one an impromptu celebration of her daughter's new partnership with a law firm in New York City.

Professor Green retired some years prior, but occasionally still does research and advisor duties with the University. She had also been a good friend of Hayden's grandmother and aunt, which meant he was invited to such events and even her smaller, more intimate gatherings. That connection further meant he felt obligated to attend.

The last thing he needs is his grandmother's spirit haunting him for not upholding what she deemed necessary obligations. The woman had been enough of a terror when she was alive, he couldn't imagine how bad she'd be poltergeisting about in the afterlife.

Which is why he almost always accepted unless he had a legitimate excuse, as with the last event. Most of the time he'd join them for a drink or two or dinner and then skip out after a reasonable amount of time. Tonight he only planned to stay for one drink.

"How's your research going, Hayden?" Dr. Green asks.

"It's coming along. I just had an article published in The Scholarly Review, it's been well received." The professor pauses. "How are things at the hospital?"

Whereas Professor Green had retired, Dr. Green still actively practiced medicine at the Children's hospital in New Haven.

"Going alright," he sighs. "We received a lot of children from that collision outside of Newark. It's been hard on the staff. I've never seen anything like it, honestly."

"The one including the big rig?"

A school bus had been involved in a five car pile up that included a fifteen passenger van, two other cars and an eighteen wheeler with hazardous cargo. While the tanker thankfully hadn't exploded, a leak had caused chemical exposure.

"Yes, many of the victims are dealing with organ issues from lack of disclosure of the materials that were leaking from the truck. A few first responders are now also sick." Dr. Green rubs his eyes. "The DOT and FMCSA have been all over us too, documenting every detail. The criminal investigation is clearly just getting started. It's been a nightmare."

Hayden's chest tightens. He knows how life changing such an accident can be, for the parents and for the children. Life would likely never be the same for some of them, his wasn't.

"I'm so sorry, Landon." He sighs. "Have you initiated a counseling protocol for the staff?"

Dr. Green nods, "The day those kids rolled through the doors."

"Good." Hayden says, his hand tightening on his drink before he takes another sip. "They'll need it."

Just then, an arm loops through the professors. "What are you two over here gossiping about?"