Five

Annie stands in Professor Green's kitchen trying to calm her frayed nerves

Annie stands in Professor Green's kitchen trying to calm her frayed nerves. She'd been enjoying her morning off under the Sugar Maple tree when Mr. Keller approached her asking if she could help prepare for this evening's unexpected event.

She'd happily agreed, but as she folded her blanket she'd found a stain on the underside that caused her heart to sink. After that, all she could think about the rest of the day was getting home to try to get it out before it sets in for good.

Humming helps distract her from her anxiety. It soothes her. So, she starts humming a song her mom had often hummed and one she hoped held enough magic to ward off invincible stains.

She's unwrapping the White chocolate bar she made to pair with one of this evening's wine selections when a hint of vanilla and rum cologne hits her nose. It's a scent that she's quickly come to associate with one very surly professor.

She smiles to herself as she briefly glances up and then continues to dress her dish to be displayed. When he doesn't speak she casually slides the dish away from her.

"Professor Brown, are you plannin' to stand over me all night without even so much as a hello?" She says as she turns.

When her eyes meet the professors she cocks an eyebrow at him and crosses her arms, leaning into the island.

He furrows his brow as he looks down on her. "How'd you know it was me?"

"I've got eyes in the back of my head, professor." She smiles at him and then nods over her shoulder, "Or at least a reflection in the front ones."

His eyes briefly lift to the glass panes of the upper cabinetry across the room before coming back to meet hers.

"So, to what do I owe this visit? Another complaint for the kitchen staff?" She teases. "Perhaps one from your girlfriend?"

"Girlfriend?" He raises an eyebrow at her insinuation, before mumbling. "Hell would have to freeze over first."

Annie laughs. "Well, God love'er, but she's definitely willin' the spirits of Bridget Bishop and Sarah Good to get it done."

His face is unreadable as he stares back at Annie.

"What are you doing here? Isn't it usually Jennifer's job to bring the dishes for events?"

Annie leans back just slightly at his words. He may not have meant them to be harsh, but his delivery did him no favors.

"Is my being here what's got you lookin' like there's a bird in the house?" She asks.

"A bird in the house?"

"Lookin' like somebody's 'bout to die." She laughs again.

When he just continues to stare at her she sighs, "Is there a problem with my bein' here?"