27. Crimson

The PHS gym was decorated in blue and black steamers, balloons, and sparkling white lights. If they went this crazy for Homecoming, I wondered what Prom must look like here. I also wondered if it was possibly just another glamour. My new-found magical knowledge had me questioning everything and everyone I saw in this town.

Of course, I couldn't exactly judge anyone for using a glamour to improve their looks. Not after what I'd done. I still felt slightly tingly from my use of power. The demon tattoo on my back constantly moved from side to side. My skin felt soft, and deep inside I felt hyper and energetic. Like I'd had an entire of pot of coffee for dinner. It was a fun feeling, and I could see how someone might become addicted to it. I understood how some people would be willing to sell their soul to increase their power. Or share it with a demon.

"Will you be all right here for just a second while I try to figure out where I need to line up for the Senior court?" Drake asked.

"Sure," I said.

Foster and Drake took off, leaving Brooke and me standing together near the entryway. We'd gotten to the gym early because both the guys and Brooke were all on what PHS called the "Senior Court." It was a group of six girls and six guys from the senior class who had been voted as having contributed the most to the school. Basically, it ended up as a collection of the most popular people in the senior class.

Brooke was pulled away by a few girls I didn't really recognize, and I was left standing alone near the punch bowl. My confidence wavered slightly. I walked to the snack table and looked at the goodies, but after eating so much Italian food at dinner, none of it looked appetizing. Across the room, someone laughed loudly and I turned to see who it was. A group of younger boys, maybe freshman, were running up and down the bleachers, acting crazy. I shook my head.

I wished they'd start some music or something. The place was too quiet without it. The boys on the bleachers shouted again and on instinct I turned back to see what they were up to. That's when I saw the strange figure.

The person was standing in the shadows by the back door to the gym. I couldn't tell if it was a man or a woman, but I knew they were staring at me. Studying me. A wave of dizziness washed over me. What were the Others doing here at the dance?

"We found it," Drake said. I jumped at the sound of his voice. "You okay?"

I looked back toward the door, but the figure was gone. "Yeah," I said. "I'm fine."

Drake grabbed my hand and led me to the side of the gym where the Senior Court had gathered behind a wall of blue gauzy fabric. "Wow, your hands are freezing," he said.

And no matter how much I tried to warm them, they stayed cold for the rest of the night.

**

It didn't take long for the gym to fill up with students, parents and alumni. For the opening presentation, Clara Summers made a speech about the importance of coming home and celebrating your roots after you find success in the outside world. Governor Davis talked about how she married her high school sweetheart and that forty years ago, their first date was the Homecoming dance her sophomore year. Alice Kensington, a tall brunette who graduated six years ago and now lived in Iraq working for the US Embassy, gave a short presentation about a program she was running over there.

It amazed me just how much Peachville's influence spread across the world. Women in power all over the state and even the world? It sent a strange tingle across my skin. It would be one thing if these women had accomplished these things on their own merit, but I knew better. Their beauty and charisma came from a supernatural source. A demon, torn from its world against its will, was the only reason for their power. And now, they wanted to use me to make them even more powerful. I was certain these women would do whatever they had to in order to make me accept their Order.

There was a part of me that wanted to just accept my fate. At least I would be a leader as the Prima. Wouldn't that afford me some freedom? Plus, I would have all kinds of knowledge and power at my fingertips. I could make a difference in the world.

But there was a much stronger voice inside that knew I had to fight against what they were trying to do to me.

"It's our turn," Drake whispered. His breath was warm against the side of my face, but I couldn't shake the chill of fear that had been following me all night.

Mayor Chen introduced the seniors on the court one at a time. When they called Drake's name, I looped my arm in his and we stepped into the spotlight. Mayor Chen listed Drake's accomplishments as we walked. I noticed his parents sitting on the front row of bleachers, their faces beaming with pride.

"As quarterback of the Demons football team, Drake has taken our home team to a record 10 consecutive wins. He is also an honor student. Drake often spends his weekends volunteering at the local nursing home. He plans to attend the University of Georgia in the fall on a full football scholarship. Let's hear a round of applause for our Demons quarterback, Drake Ashworth."

The crowd cheered as we made our way to the end of the row of seniors. I studied their faces; looking for the hooded figure I had seen earlier. Instead, my gaze landed on Jackson Hunt. He was leaning against the doorway near the ticket table, and when our eyes met, he lowered his head in a slight nod.

My mind went back to the conversation I'd overheard between him and Morgyn Baker in the garden the night before. He had told her he didn't want her to come tonight, but why? Did he have the same sense of icy fear that I'd had all night?

After the court walked in and the speeches were finished, the lights dimmed and the DJ started with some hip hop and a light show. Most of the parents and alumni left, and the students slowly made their way onto the dance floor. My silver shoes lasted about two dances before I kicked them off near the bleachers and decided to go barefoot.

I tried to let loose and just have fun, but my eyes kept moving toward the back door. With the main lights turned off, there were so many dark corners it made me nervous. Every time I turned my back on the shadows, I felt eyes on me. About an hour and a half into the dance, a rush of nausea hit me like a punch in the stomach. I doubled over in pain and had to put my hand on Drake's arm to steady myself.

"Are you all right?"

"I don't know," I said. I couldn't tell him the truth. He would think I was insane for worrying about dark figures and a group of witches who might be out to get me. "I think maybe I ate too much. I'm sure it's nothing. I'm just going to go to the restroom for a minute, but I'll be right back."

The fluorescent lights in the bathroom buzzed and flickered. Even after all the dancing, my hair and makeup looked flawless and fresh, but inside I felt like a mess. Maybe I could tell Drake I had food poisoning and convince him to take me home early. I wasn't sure how much more of this night I could handle.

Out in the gym there was a break in the music. The silence was brief, but pronounced. Then, someone screamed. A terrifying, hit-you-in-your-gut kind of scream that echoed through the entire gym. My stomach tightened and my breath caught in my throat.

I ran out into the gym, knowing this was the moment I'd been dreading all evening. What I saw would haunt me for the rest of my life. Jackson Hunt knelt on the cold gym floor. His hands and face were covered in blood and he clutched a girl's limp body in his arms. I gasped and stepped forward. Students ran in all directions, fleeing from the red pool that snaked and slithered across the slick surface of the floor.

The black lace of Morgyn Baker's dress was drenched in crimson. As I rushed toward them, I saw she had been pierced through the heart with a silver dagger. Her eyes were closed, and her body was lifeless and still. Jackson slowly rocked her back and forth as if he were trying to rock her to sleep.

Movement in the shadows caught my eye and as I looked toward the dark back corner of the gym, the hooded figure stared coldly back at me, then turned and fled into the night.