Chapter 4

Confusion filled me as I watched the exchange between Alexander and the man I thought would save me. When the man recognized Alexander, his demeanor swiftly shifted from confrontation to reverence. He lowered his head in a sign of deference, his voice lowering as he greeted with a respectful, "Alpha."

Alexander's tense posture relaxed slightly in response to the acknowledgment of his status, though his grip on my arm remained firm. "This is none of your concern James," he replied, his voice carrying a note of warning.

James nodded, his gesture one of submission. "Of course, Alpha. I apologize for any intrusion. I only sought to help."

Alexander's expression softened further, and he inclined his head, acknowledging James's intention. "Thank you for your concern," he replied with a hint of gratitude. "I appreciate your willingness to aid my mate."

With that, he released his grip on my arm, allowing me a moment to catch my breath and process the surreal turn of events. Alexander turned his attention back to James. "Now, please go back inside your house. It's best that you not involve yourself further."

James offered a final nod, his respect unwavering. "Of course, Alpha. I hope you and your mate find the safety and peace you seek."

Alexander then turned his attention to me, his voice calm yet commanding. "Come, follow me."

But my mind was still spinning, overwhelmed by the strange events of the night. I didn't hear his words, and instead, instinct took over. I bolted away from him, the realization that he had let me go driving me to run.

However, my escape was short-lived. In a matter of seconds, Alexander caught up to me, his strong arms enveloping me once more as he effortlessly hoisted me over his shoulder.

As Alexander carried me over his shoulder, we continued to pass by houses, their silent witnesses hidden behind illuminated windows and drawn curtains. With each step, I couldn't suppress my cries for help, the desperation in my voice echoing through the night. Yet, despite the awakening of the entire neighborhood, no one stepped forward to assist me. It was as if they were bound by some unspoken rule, their gazes following us but their actions frozen.

I eventually fell into a disheartened silence, my thoughts a whirlwind of confusion and fear. The events of the night had been beyond surreal, and I couldn't wrap my head around the inexplicable elements that seemed to surround Alexander.

As I contemplated my situation, Alexander seized the moment to finally ask my name. His question startled me, a stark reminder that he had taken me against my will, claiming me to be his mate without even knowing my identity. I hesitated before replying, my voice soft, "Isabella."

He abruptly halted our progress, and under his breath, so faint that I almost didn't hear it, he whispered, "Isabella." The words sent a shiver down my spine, a mix of intrigue and uncertainty coursing through me.

Alexander then continued walking towards this massive house that seems to stand in the heart of this mysterious community. "We're here," he announced.

Once we entered the house, my confusion only deepened. The place was eerily empty, shrouded in dust and shadows. Furniture lay concealed beneath drapes, and it appeared as though no one had set foot in this house for years. Why Alexander had brought me here, considering the desolation that enveloped the place. Why not take me to his own home? It puzzled me greatly.

Alexander gently lowered me to my feet, and I watched as he turned to lock the doors, his actions purposeful. Finally, he faced me and asked in his deep voice, "Do you like the place?"

"What?" I asked, unable to hide my confusion.

"The place, do you like it?" Alexander asked somewhat nervously.