Chapter 17

The hammerhead threw Cora to the deck of the Dutchman as they returned.

"Welcome aboard the Dutchman, lass," Jones drawled. "You must beg our pardons, it has been a long time since we been in the company of a woman as fine as yourself."

"AYE!

"ARRR!" His crew hollered as Cora stared up at them, clearly terrified but she'd die before admitting it to herself or to them.

"Well you won't have this woman's company without one hell of a fight," she spat.

"Oh, please," Jones said before he offered her the sleeve of his coat and she hesitantly took it, ignoring the way the barnacles felt beneath her skin as she let him help her up. "We may be pirates derived of a woman's touch, but we are gentlemen. Now let me ask ya something, Miss Barbossa. Do ya fear death?"

And her expression was hard as steel as she met Jones' eyes and didn't look away. "No, Captain Jones. I do not fear death. In fact, I welcome it to try and claim me."

And the crew laughed as Jones said, "Why, you do not disappoint, Miss Barbossa." Then he offered her his arm again. "Please. This way. I have something to show ya."

She had no choice but to follow Jones, knowing she was outnumbered and probably out-skilled if these guys were immortal. He began leading her below deck and as she did, her eyes locked on with a familiar, and very mortal pair of brown irises.

Will Turner looked exceedingly worried when he saw Cora on the arm of Davy Jones as he led her below deck and toward his cabin.

As the rain continued to pour again, lightning flashing outside, Cora sat near Jones as he played a ridiculously large pipe organ with his face tentacles. For hours it seemed she sat there, simply listening to the tune that Jones played as her hands shook, with rage or fear she didn't know, and rain continued to pelt the massive wall of windows before the organ.

When the song eventually drew to an end, Jones turned to her as she tried to hide her flinch. "So, what did ya think? Me crew ne'er give honest opinions and I haven't had a woman's opinion on my song before."

"It was...beautiful," Cora said honestly. "But in a dark way. There was this feeling of...melancholy, to it that just sounded beautifully tragic."

Jones gave her no indication whether or not that was the right answer as he turned back to his organ, running a hand over the keys almost wistfully before Cora dared risk a question.

"What did you want the song to sound like, Captain Jones?" she asked, but he still gave no answer as he stared at a heart-shaped box.

"Can ya sing, Miss Barbossa?" Jones asked and she hesitated.

"I know a few songs. I can't say if I sing well though."

"What do you know?"

"Hoist the Colours. A few pirate shanties. And a siren song."

Jones looked intrigued. "Sing me a siren song."

And he began to play again as Cora inhaled a breath and started signing.

"Upon one summer's morning. I carelessly did stray, down by the walls of Wapping, where I met a sailor gay. Conversing with a young lass, who seemed to be in pain, saying William, where you go, I fear you'll ne'er be seen again. His hair it does in ringlets hang, his eyes as black as coal. May happiness attend him, wherever he may go. From Tower Hill to Black Wall, I will wander, weep and moan. All for my jolly sailor bold, until it does return. My heart is pierced by cupid, I disdain all glittering gold. There is nothing can console me, but my jolly Sailor bold. My name it is-"