Curse of Curiosity

On this particular day, Murtasim found himself in his home office, surrounded by a sea of documents, diligently sipping on his hot coffee. Meesam, his three-year-old daughter was perched on his lap, engrossed in coloring with the markers her father had provided to keep her busy. Meerab was in their room, buried in her law exam preparations, leaving father and daughter alone.

"Baba dekho, butterfly." Said meesam as she pointed to her drawing, wanting compliments from her father. Murtasim looked down to her paper and let out a sheepish smile, "wow itni pyaari butterfly hai."  He Said as he pecked his daughters cheek. It was in fact not a pyaari butterfly, it was a blob of pink, green, and yellow in the middle of the page, but there was no harm in telling a white lie to see that signature meesam grin. Meesam blushed and whispered "thank you baba." As she resumed her coloring. Murtasim placed a kiss on his daughters hair and continued with his paperwork. "Of course bacha."

As murtasim reached for his cup of coffee, he slightly missed and knocked the cup over. The hot brown liquid spilled all over his papers and he couldn't help but curse under his breath. "Ah fuck" mumbled Murtasim.

In his haste to get Meesam off his lap and clean up the mess, her marker slipped off the paper, leaving a colorful streak on the mahogany desk, ruining her drawing and her babas desk. "Fuck..."

Murtasim froze , his face drained of color.

"Meesam, apne abhi kya kaha?" He asked, his voice laced with apprehension.

Meesam was stilled focused on her drawing, trying to fix the mistake she made. The coffee spill made no difference to her as she was in a world of her own. He waited a few seconds but meesam didn't respond. He was slightly relieved, thinking that maybe he was just hearing things until his daughter let out a soft giggle and whispered "hehehe fuck", her innocence contrasting with her father's shock

Murtasim had to address this immediately. Realizing the gravity of the situation he immediately turned Meesam to face him, "meesam.... Bacha aise nahi kehte, ye bad word hai." explained murtasim, speaking slowly so the words sunk in.

"Baba apne bad word kaha?" Gasped meesam, why would her baba say something like this. And if he was allowed to say it then why wasn't she?
Murtasim closed his eyes in frustration. "Baba baray hain na tho wo keh sakte hai, aap nahi keh sakti."

"Nahiiiii meesam bhi bari hai." whined meesam,her lips forming the cutest little pout, she was a whopping three years old but her mama and baba still looked at her as a baby.

Sometimes she was just like meerab. Ziddi. She went completely after her mother in this matter

"Acha acha aap big girl ho lekin fir se ye lafz mat kehna , ache Bacche aise nahi kehte, aap baba ki good girl ho na?" Meesam eagerly nodded her head. "Aur haan....mama ke Saamne ye lafz bilkul bhi mat kehna nahi to wo aap se or baba se naraz ho jaye gi.... Promise? "
meesam nodded her head yes and intertwined her pinky with her fathers', not really grasping the information he relayed to her.

After cleaning up the desk, Murtasim continued his work, with Meesam still on his lap. He couldn't shake off the shock of his little girl uttering a curse learned from him, but he focused on his tasks.

Meesam continued coloring but she thought about the word, what was wrong with saying it? Surely it couldn't be as bad as her baba said it was.....

********************

Later that afternoon, Meerab decided to take a break from her studies to spend quality time with her family. They gathered in their cozy room, where a trolley loaded with tea and assorted biscuits awaited them. Murtasim poured tea for Meerab and himself and handed Meesam a biscuit. The little one happily accepted the treat and went back to her wooden blocks, attempting to build a towering structure.