t w e l v e

CAMERAS FLASH IN my face as I sit behind a table signing all sorts of things, surfboards, rash guards—someone even wanted me to sign their baby

No, I did not do that.

These promotional events and signings can be exhausting, but it all comes with the territory. Unfortunately, this is the first one Gabi has had to endure and I can't help but let my eyes wander over to here every so often to make sure she is okay.

While this is something I am used to, Gabi isn't used to people coming up to her. People have asked for pictures with her or wanted to ask her questions about our relationship and she is handling it like a pro, but I can see it starting to wear her down.

Letting the promotors know I need a moment, they stop the line with a few groans and I stand up, making my way over to where Gabi is surrounded by a few people, including reporters.

She jumps slightly as I rest my hands on her hips from behind and I smile over the top of her head at everyone.

"Sorry everyone, but it's time to steal my girlfriend away," I tell them. I give them a wave before directing Gabi to the table and asking if they can find an extra chair so she can sit with me. "Doing okay?"

My voice comes out as a murmur as we stand up a few feet away from the table and everyone else while we wait on the chair.

"Yeah, it's just a lot of questions. Why would anyone want to take a picture of me? I'm a nobody," she asks, confused, and I chuckle before reaching up to stroke her cheek.

"Shit sorry," I say before pulling back slowly to not make it obvious to people around us. "It can be tiring. I find surfing less tiring than all this stuff but it comes with the whole professional athlete thing. And hey, you're not a nobody. You're my Red."

She rolls her eyes at that, but a smile tips at her lips. "Will you ever quit with the nickname?"

I shrug and shake my head. "Not too much longer. Just stay near me and you'll be fine."

Someone brings a chair and places it next to my own as I sit back down and Gabi sits down next to me. For the next little while, I go back to signing things and talking to fans. Everyone takes an interest in Gabi, talking to her as well while I sign things, asking about her, our relationship or just general conversation, especially when someone wants something weird or crazy signed.

"Can we get a picture of you two?" one reporter who is hanging around for promotional purposes asks as the last of the line dissipates, leaving us sat at the table.

I look over to Gabi, who nods with a small smile, and I move closer to her, wrapping my arm around her shoulder as she cuddles into my side for the picture.

"Great! You both look amazing together. Mind if we ask a few questions people have been dying to find out?" they ask, testing the waters and I scratch the back of my neck.