s e v e n t e e n

KNOCKING ON HER bedroom door at six in the morning as quietly as I can without waking anyone else up, I pause for a moment but get no response

She sleeps like the dead.

Rolling my eyes, I knock once more but still don't get any response. I quietly push her door open and chuckle when I see her spread out like a starfish in bed, sleeping.

Closing the door behind me, I walk over to the bed, kneeling at the side of it before I rest my hand on her hip to shake her.

"Gabi, wake up," I say softly and she lets out a groan, burying her head further into the pillow. "Gabs. Wakey wakey," I sing, but all she does is move around, so I say the one thing I know will wake her up. "I made you pancakes."

She stirs more at that before opening her eyes, squinting slightly as she adjusts. "Did I hear pancakes?"

I smirk. I knew that would work. "Great, you're up. There are no pancakes, but I knew it would get you up."

She glares at me, and it's one of the deadliest looks she has. Gabi does not like to be woken up early. "There better be a good reason for you waking me up at—six in the morning."

She looks at the clock, letting out a huff before resting her head back down on the pillow.

"I'm heading down to the beach to watch the sunrise. I do it every year just like when we were kids. Want to come with like old times?" I ask her and she opens her eyes to look at me, clocking onto what I am really saying.

Every year when we were kids, we would go down to the beach to watch the sunrise on the anniversary of my parent's death. Even when Atlas came along, it was a tradition Gabi and I upheld together.

It's still something I do every year while on tour, but this is the first time in a long time where Gabi is here with me again.

With the first day of the competition later on, where I have to block everything out to focus, this lets me have a moment to grieve and remember.

"I'll get changed," she says in a soft voice before sitting up and when I don't move, she points to the door. "Get out so I can change."

I lean in to kiss her cheek as a thanks before I head out into the kitchen to wait for her.

Soon enough she is coming out of her room dressed in leggings and one of my jumpers she apparently stole from me on tour, and we are heading down to the beach with our travel mugs of coffee.

We are silent on the way to the beach, just taking in the quietness as there are not many people around. Getting to the beach, we find a spot before sitting down next to each other, looking out at the ocean just in time to see the sun rising.

"Do you still do this a lot?" Gabi asks me, sipping her coffee and I nod.

"Every year. I come down to a beach and just sit to watch the sunrise. It helps me focus more. I don't feel bad. I have to tune all my emotions out when I'm surfing because I already acknowledged them," I explain to her.