Chapter Three

The drive back to the precinct felt longer than it ever has before. The steady rhythm of the tires on the asphalt provided a sense of continuity after the intensity of the murder scene Bailey and the officers bore witness to. Neither the officers nor Bailey dared to speak of what they saw.

As the car hurtled down the open road, a heavy sadness loomed in the air, casting a shadow over the three occupants. The once fervent chatter had given way to a profound silence, punctuated only by the low hum of the engine and the rhythmic pattern of rain against the windshield.

In the backseat, Bailey sat in solemn silence, her eyes glazed with the residue of unshed tears. Her shoulders hunched forward, as if the weight of their collective sadness had physically bowed them. Her hands were clasped tightly in her lap, the knuckles turning white as her grip increased. Words seemed inadequate in the face of the grief that she endured upon realizing who was taken from the world.

The car moved forward, a vessel carrying not just the physical weight of its occupants but the emotional burden of a heavy sadness that refused to dissipate.

Bailey, however, was more than just sad. She was also angry and scared. Angry that her friend's life was cut short, angry that the person who did this was still out there and scared for everyone she knows.

After what felt like several hours, the officers and Bailey finally pulled into the parking lot of the station. The rain had slowed and was now only sprinkling.

Officer Likins and Brown slip out of the cruiser and open Baileys' door, giving her a hand. Bailey takes Officer Likins' hand and slides out of the backseat. She thanks the officer and shuts the door behind her before walking into the precinct for the second time that day. Sergeant Rodriguez was waiting near it with another woman.

"Miss Carson." The Sergeant starts as Bailey walks through the doors. "This is Amanda Khan. She's the station's psychiatrist." Sergeant Rodriguez finishes, her body facing the woman. "Nice to meet Bailey." The psychiatrist says, her hand stretched out towards Bailey. Bailey sighs softly and takes the woman's hand and gives it a short shake before withdrawing her hand and slipping it into her pocket. "Sergeant Rodriguez wanted me to meet you due to what you had seen. I know what losing a friend in such a horrendous matter can do to a person." Amanda pulls out a business card from her blazers pocket and offers it to Bailey. "Unfortunately, for the next month, you will need to see me for weekly therapy appointments. It is mandatory for all staff, including Interns when they see something that is traumatizing." Bailey sighs and takes the card from Amanda and slips it into her pocket. "Thanks." She mutters. "When's the first meeting?" Bailey asks as she glances at the door. She never wanted to leave somewhere as bad as she did now. "First one has been scheduled for Thursday this week. Two days from now." Amanda replies. "Great." She said sarcastically as she slipped past the two women. "I'll see you then." Bailey snatches her book bag off the floor and throws it over her shoulder and gives the two women and the officers a short wave before slipping out of the precinct.

---

News traveled fast, but not fast enough for Eva. It wasn't until the late afternoon, roughly four o' clock, when she was finally leaving the campus for the day that she found out that someone was murdered and that someone was a close friend. Unfortunately, the method Eva found out was through gossip that made its way into her ear. However, the game of telephone made it hard to actually believe what she had heard was true.

As Eva walks to her garage, she pulls up Bailey's contact information, knowing that she would have answers as to what she was told. After a few rings, Bailey picks up the phone. "Hey Eva, I'm sorry I can't really ta-" "Is it true?" Eva asks, cutting Bailey off. "If you're referring to what I think you are, then yes." Bailey audibly sighs over the phone, and Eva's heart sinks. "Why didn't you tell me? Why did I have to find out through gossip?" Eva asks, her lips pursing when she finally reaches the garage. Eva presses her phone to her ear and holds it in place with her shoulder as she presses the elevator call button. "My plan was to tell you when you got home, but I guess news travels fast in this town, especially when a murder happens." Tears well in Eva's eyes, but she wipes them away when the elevator dings and slides open. "Are you okay, Bee?" Eva asks her best friend as she slips into the musky smelling elevator. Eva presses the level 5 button and watches as the doors slide shut. "I wasn't initially. It was hard to see her that way." Bailey's voice cracks, and Eva could tell that Bailey was trying to hold back tears. "I'll be on my way home in just a few minutes." The elevator dings again and Eva slips out onto the fifth level. She adjusts both the phone that rested uncomfortably against her ear and her book bag that weighed her down before heading over to where she had parked her car. "We can talk about this more when I get there, okay?" Eva finishes. "Yeah, we can do that, E." Bailey replies. Before Eva could reply, the phone call had ended.

Eva sighs and fishes her car keys out of her purse and presses the unlock button several times. Eva pulls open the door and quickly scans the empty garage before slipping into the driver's seat. Eva throws her book bag into the passenger seat and turns the vehicle on. Edging by Blink-182 began playing from her radio. She turns the song down slightly and buckles her seat belt before finally taking off out of the garage.

---

The drive back to her apartment was fairly short thanks to the lack of traffic. When Eva finally pulls into the parking lot, she lets out an exasperated sigh. She wasn't quite ready to have the conversation about her friend's death again, nor see what it was doing to Bailey, but she knew she had to go inside and face it sooner rather than later.

Eva slips out of her car, dragging her book back across the front seats, she throws it over her shoulders then locks the car doors and then shoves the keys into her purse before making her way into the complex and towards her apartment.

"Bee, I'm back." Eva calls as she slips into the apartment. Max trots down the hallway, his tail swaying back and forth. "Hey buddy." Eva says as she pets the dog. "Bailey?" She calls out again as she starts down the hallway and towards Bailey's room. She lightly taps on the door before pushing it open. Bailey was inside sitting on her bed, several criminology books strewn across the bed.

Bailey's laptop was open, revealing the news article about Khloe's death, and her notebook was open listing the things Bailey had seen at the crime scene. Eva's face contorts into disgust as she reads down the list. "What are you up to, Bee?" Eva asks as she shuts the laptop and notebook. "Just studying Eva." Bailey replies back, shutting the book that was propped open in her lap. "Alright. Well, would you like to do anything that isn't gross or reminds you of what you saw today?" Eva suggests. Bailey sighs softly and hops off the bed. "Like what?" She asks as she strolls out of the room. "I dunno, how about a NON scary movie." Eva says, emphasizing on the non part. Bailey chuckles lightly and enters the kitchen. "We can do that, but first dinner." She opens the fridge and sticks her head in as she scans all the items. "Do you just want to order takeout again?" Bailey says as she pulls her head out of the fridge. She shuts it and turns to face Eva. "Sure, why not." Eva replies as she sets her book bag down by the breakfast bar. She then pockets her phone and goes to sit on the couch. Eva grabs the remote and opens Disney Plus. Bailey strolls out of the kitchen and sits down beside Eva, her phone open to DoorDash.

"You pick the movie, and I'll pick the food." Bailey says as she scrolls through the food options. "Sounds good to me." Eva replies as she quickly settles on Elemental. She sets the remote down on the coffee table and pats the couch to grab Max's attention. "How does Raising Canes sound?" Bailey asks as Max hops onto the couch between the two girls. He lays his head on Bailey's lap and sighs. "Yea." Eva replies as she pets the dog, her focus staying on the movie. Bailey orders their meals, two three finger combos with Dr. Peppers then sets her phone on the coffee table and reverts her focus to the movie, her hand resting on her dog's head.

About a half hour into the movie, their food arrives. Bailey gets up from the couch and peeks through the peephole before opening the door. "Here's your food. Enjoy!" The DoorDash driver says cheerfully as they hand the bag and drink holder over to Bailey. "Thanks, have a great rest of your night." Bailey replies as the DoorDash driver walks down the hall. Bailey slips back into the apartment and shuts the door and sets the food down onto the coffee table. Max sits up, intrigued by the smell of the food. "Thanks, Bee." Eva says as she opens the bag and pulls one of the Styrofoam boxes out. "You're welcome." Bailey replies as she grabs the other box. She sits back down on the couch, nudging the nosey Max away from her food.

After the movie was over, Eva gathered all the garbage and threw it away. She glances down at the time on her phone and then to her bedroom. "I'm heading to bed, Bee. I'll see you in the morning, okay?" Eva says as she starts towards her room. "Same here." Bailey says as she rises from the couch. "Goodnight." They both say to each other as they enter their rooms. However, Bailey wasn't ready to go to bed. She was still wide awake thanks to the racing thoughts she had from the murder and the crime scene.

Bailey slips into the room, Max trailing behind her, and shuts her door. She lingers by it for a moment before spinning on her heels. She walks over to her desk and opens both her notebook and laptop to continue her research. While it was only one murder, she was certain more were to come. Why else would the killer leave a pristine white mask behind? Why text the things they did if they weren't planning on doing more harm.

Those questions bounced around her skull as she reread the article several times more, unaware that the killer was stalking their next victim.