Chapter Five

The news spread like wildfire through the dormitories and gathering spots near the campus. A sense of disbelief and unease settled over the students as whispers and rumors permeated the air. In dorm rooms, common areas, and cafes, conversations came to a sudden halt as the gravity of the situation sank in.

As word reached a group of students gathered in the university's main quad, the atmosphere shifted from casual chatter to a tense hush. Smartphones buzzed with notifications, and the first news reports started to circulate, their headlines sending shockwaves through the crowd.

Among the students, there was a mixture of reactions - disbelief, fear, and concern etched on their faces. Some clutched their phones, staring at the screens as if expecting the information to change. Others exchanged worried glances, their conversations now revolving around the unsettling news.

Eva and Bailey were among the group. They exchanged a glance that conveyed the shared sense of concern. Without a word, they joined the growing cluster of students huddled around someone streaming a live news update on their phone.

The details were scant, and rumors filled the void left by official information. Speculations about the victims, the location of the crime, and the motive buzzed through the crowd. Some students began calling friends and family, ensuring their safety and checking on their well-being.

Marlee and Austin approach Eva and Bailey, and the four of them share a moment of silence before collectively deciding to find out more. They navigated through the worried crowd, determined to uncover the truth about the double murder that had cast a shadow over their university community. 

As the news continued to spread through the campus, the Tucson Police and federal agents were pulling into the campus, their lights flashing in sync. Bailey's attention moves to the all-black SUVs and the familiar officers that had slid out of their patrol cars. Sergeant Rodriguez, accompanied by Officer Likins, stood in front of their vehicles. The sergeant adjusts the heavy Kevlar vest that was strapped across her chest and then rests her right hand against the holster her Glock 22 rested in. 

"Eva." Bailey says as she taps her fingers on her best friend's shoulder. Eva turns to face Bailey, showing that she had her attention. "Sergeant Rodriguez is here," Bailey points to the sergeant and officer Likins. "I'm going to go see if I can find out more about what is going on." Bailey finishes. Eva nods, her arms folding across her chest. Bailey could tell Eva was scared by the way her arms tightly wound themselves across her body. "Hurry. I don't think I want to be here anymore today." Eva replies softly to Bailey. Bailey gives her friend a quick but tight and reassuring hug before heading towards the sergeant. 

The agents had already started moving through the campus, followed by a few campus officers that were available. Bailey's lunch churned in her stomach at the thought of the killer hiding out somewhere on or around campus.

"Sergeant Rodriguez." Bailey calls out as she gets closer to the woman. Sergeant Rodriguez continues to walk on, unaware that Bailey had called for her. Realizing rather quickly that her commanding officer did not hear her, she calls out a little louder. The sergeant stops briefly and turns to meet the voice of who had called out to her. Her lips purse when she sees Bailey and her brows furrow with an equal mix of frustration and sadness. "Hello, Miss Carson." The Sergeant sighs, as she gently rubs the creases out of her forehead. 

The sergeant drops her hands from her face and crosses them across her chest. "I know what you're after, Carson. Unfortunately, there isn't much I can say at this time." Bailey frowns and slides her hands into her pockets. "Surely you can tell me something. Maybe I can help on the scene." She offers. The sergeant frowns softly and uncrosses her arms. She places a hand on Bailey's shoulder, gripping it softly. Bailey glances at it, then back at the sergeant. No words were needed to tell Bailey that she wasn't able to help this time. "Can you at least tell me if the kills were done by the same psycho who murdered Khloe." Bailey pleads. The sergeant drops her hand and glances at her surroundings. "Okay, I'll tell you this." The sergeant starts as she leans toward Bailey. "We do believe these kills were done by the same person. Two more masks were found at the scene, this time resting on the victims' faces." Bailey's lips purse, and she glances at Eva, who sat on the wall of one of the campuses miniature arboretums. She looked visibly uncomfortable and worried and ready to run as fast as she could away from the campus. "I wish you'd let me see the scene, ma'am. I could be helpful; I could help confirm identities or something." Bailey looks at the sergeant again, her eyes pleading. She wanted to see the scene. She wanted to find anything that could help discover the identity of the now confirmed serial killer.