Chapter 5

Lily went back to her room to put on the beige uniform before dinner. The servant's pale yellow wouldn't help her blend in at all. The material of the new uniform was stiff and lighter than her old clothing. She wondered if it was shifter material. Most pack clothing was, she'd heard. It allowed shifters to transform without removing their clothing, the shift triggering the clothing to be stored in the void beyond this world until they shifted back.

The new clothing felt odd against her legs as she walked. She peeked around corners before going forward, worried one of the orphans might see her. She wasn't sure why, really, just that it'd be easier to explain things tonight.

"It'll be okay," she said to herself once she got to the door of the dining hall.

The light beige of her new clothing stood out like the bright harvest moon in the darkest night sky. But despite her earlier anxiety, no one really stared. They glanced up as she passed, but there were no hateful comments at least.

Meals at the pack house were nearly always a self-service buffet. Lily followed the line down the buffet tables, piling her plate high with a little bit of everything—various meats, mashed potatoes, pasta, stir fry, jello, pastries, and dinner rolls.

Despite her unease about tomorrow, she couldn't help but feel euphoric. The food was incredible. The orphan's dining area didn't offer food like this. Unflavored porridge, hard-boiled eggs, and salads were the norm on most days.

She couldn't suppress her laugh as she looked around the space. All of these pack members here thought a meal like this was run-of-the-mill, an everyday occurrence, and thus, something they took for granted.

But to Lily, it was an incredible feast. She went back for seconds and managed to snag the remaining dinner rolls for later. She got a slice of chocolate cake to go as well. She thought it might be against the rules to sneak food out, but no one seemed to care that much. And she'd be gone tomorrow anyway.

The room looked a bit smaller with all the orphans there

The room looked a bit smaller with all the orphans there. Most wore their sleeping clothes, but some were still in their yellow work clothes. Lily started a movie as everyone settled in. Because so many were still young kids, there was plenty of space on the bed and chairs. Some were even taking turns trying out the bathtub.

Lily smiled at the happiness on their faces. She wished she could give them more. She sat in the corner with the second and third eldest of the group.

"You're in the pack now?" said Sauti, who knew that a situation like this didn't come without loss. "Were you able to shift then? I didn't think anyone shifted for the first time after the age of 15."

"What's going to happen?" asked Paul.

Lily told them about the situation, explaining how she was now part of the pack but only for a day because she would be leaving tomorrow. She avoided their looks of sadness. She didn't have a choice but to go.

"What will we do without you, Lily?" asked Sauti.

"You'll be strong," Lily said with a smile. "You'll do the best you can."

They smiled in a sad kind of way. There was laughter from the movie in the background. Everything felt so surreal. Lily thought about sharing her fears of the unknown that awaited her tomorrow, but she couldn't bring herself to do it. She couldn't show them her fear when they all needed to be strong and work to adapt to the changes.

"Do you guys know anything about this school?" she asked instead.

"I've heard it's elite," said Paul. "I've only heard of high-ranking males going before now."

Lily laughed with relief. At least it wasn't some kind of slaughterhouse like her mind had been inventing. "That's good to know. I bet they need me to go do chores there. I hope the servant rooms are bigger at least."

They talked as the night grew late and the movie finished. Lily wondered if this would be the last time she would talk to them. She focused on so many details: the way Sauti's uniform hung in such a worn and tired way after the day's work, the warmth of their presence.

"It'll be okay," she found herself telling them. But she couldn't be sure if she was saying that to them or herself. Tomorrow was approaching fast.

"Sauti and I will shift in a year or two," said Paul. "We'll have the benefits of being part of the pack then, and the situation for the orphans will get better."

"Don't worry about us, Lily," said Sauti.

"I'm not worried," she said. "You both do amazing."

It was time then for the raffle Lily had made using another page from her journal. She had created 19 squares with a unique number on each, and each orphan had a number based on age.

Lily wouldn't be needing her slinky, putty, or yo-yo where she was going. She was happy to see them find good homes: the putty to Genevieve, the yo-yo to Stephan, and the slinky to Amber, who was the fourth oldest after her.

The hardest part was saying goodbye. And yet, she promised herself she'd come back someday. She didn't know how, but she couldn't leave her family in this situation if there was anything she could do to change it.

"I won't forget you," she said as the last of them disappeared into the secret passageway, down the corridor that would take them to their sleeping quarters.

Lily was alone then with nothing to do but soak in the overlarge tub and wonder about what tomorrow would hold.

Copyrighted material

Copyrighted material. All rights reserved.