Chapter 47

Lily was glad for the meeting. She even listened to a fair bit of it. The new plans for the schooling system. The concerns about a new uprising... It was to be expected really. Those who had been in control weren't keen to give it up. 

Their strategy with the mind magic against the old governing committee had been effective. It bought them time to visit with most of the packs. 

Lily thought about how maybe there would always be some measure of light and dark in the world.

She glanced at Ryan, who was sitting beside her, for what must have been the 50th time. 

"And so, it is proposed that we seek out instructors that bring not only passion to the school, but also hands-on, and active teaching methods," the speaker said. 

Lily thought about how it'd felt to shake Ryan's hand. 'Pay attention Lily', she silently scolded herself.

She glanced at Ryan's hand. It was resting on the table so close to her. She thought about poking it with her finger. Would it feel the same?

She felt... childish amusement. 

'No... No, I must concentrate,' she admonished herself again. 

She did wonder if the sensation would feel the same though. Maybe it would feel less foreign?

What to do about the uprising though? Go attack them, some see to think. Take care of it while it's still small. Talk to them, said another, tell them that Lycans are an extension of shifters and not a separate species that--

Ryan poked her hand. The feeling was the same. She laughed. It was funny to her that he was thinking the same thing as her. As if testing, and wondering if this is real.

It was a beautiful summer day. Time seemed to move slower through the warm air. 

Lily stood at a floor-to-ceiling window that was opened a crack. The sound of the day and the stillness flowed into the large dwelling place. 

Lily couldn't help but think about how far she'd come. She thought about the tiny room she'd once shared with 3 other orphaned girls, and how hopeless everything had seemed at the time. It seemed like another life almost. 

She looked around the room again. The massive bed, and the incredible finishes. The textures of the room. The natural light from the windows reflected off the soft leaves of the monstera plant. And just below that a wicker basket filled with fluffy blankets. The white marble of the bathroom could be glimpsed as well.

A bathroom all to herself. 

She thought about Ryan who was rooming next door and the date they had planned for later that day.

'My next adventure', she thought silently. 

They'd agreed to take things slow. No other Lycans had found their mates yet, they couldn't be sure what to expect. 

They'd have more time to research the historical books this way.

She'd have a class to attend in an hour. A class that she chose to take. One with her friends where she can learn and work on the new shield magic she'd been trying to understand. Lunch after that, and then time enough to shift and spend time in the safety of her trees in the fourth-floor courtyard. 

She didn't know how things would progress with her mate or the uprising. That's how it goes in life. But she took comfort in the moment. And in the sunny blue-sky day, and in her schedule that was filled with things she enjoyed doing.

And that thought seemed to grant her happiness. It was the most beautiful thing she'd experienced yet. 

Copyrighted Material

Copyrighted Material. All rights reserved.