Chapter 27

Ryan and Lily's other missing classmates didn't return for another week. It was Friday, after lunch, and Lily was nearly late arriving at her abilities class. 

"Sorry I'm late," she said upon entering. She stopped short seeing the classroom much fuller than it had been for so long. She found herself avoiding eye contact with Ryan. She couldn't be sure why. 

Her eyes rested instead on a new student. A petit girl. She seemed very proper, with her back straight and legs crossed delicately, but she also gave the impression that she wanted to look smaller than she was. 

"That's quite alright Lily. Please have a seat," said Mrs. Harristone. "We'll be working on protective mental shields today."

Lily nodded while still looking at the new girl. She felt... uneasy about her. But the new girl was so tiny and seemed so timid that she couldn't be sure why she'd feel uneasy. Lily was about to look away when the glint of something wrapped around the girl's arms caught her eye. They were a kind of delicate chain. They crisscrossed geometrically from her hands to her elbow.

Not wanting to draw attention to herself, Lily took the only remaining seat, which happened to be by Ryan. As she moved towards it, she instinctively didn't turn her back to the new girl. And yet, Lily knew she ought not to judge the girl when they'd never even spoken. 

It came as no surprise to Lily that she wasn't any good at the energy shields they worked on. Another subpar ability to add to her growing list. Then again, she couldn't be sure if it was because she just wasn't good at this new magic, or if she wasn't able to concentrate because of her uneasiness. 

The girl approached her near the end of class. Or rather she approached Ryan who was seated next to her. 

"You were right Ryan," said the girl. "It is much better. Thank you."

"Don't mention it," he said, in an offhanded way as he stood and settled his satchel onto his shoulder. 

The girl giggled. It sounded like the tinkling a high-quality, overpriced tea cup would make as it shattered on the floor. "Well, aren't you going to introduce me to your friend?"

Ryan looked surprised. No doubt he, like Lily, had never thought of themselves as friends.

"This is Lily. Lily... meet Christy."

Lily didn't say anything right away. The tension was stiff like frozen wax... she can't be the only one feeling it. "Hello," she said at last in a bit of a monotone.

"Hello!" said the girl. She sounded so happy at even just the simplest of responses. "I was wondering if you'd maybe be able to show me to the dining hall. I know we've only just met, but the others are no doubt sick of me after our long travels."

Lily looked at Ryan. She wasn't sure why... maybe she expected him to intervene. But he seemed not to even be paying attention. Now that she looked at him closely she could see he looked exhausted. 

"Alright," Lily said to the girl. She'd be going there anyway to meet up with Anne and Sophie. It didn't seem like walking with this girl would cause any detriment. 

What could possibly go wrong?

"It's amazing," Christy seemed to say around every corner. Arriving on the fourth floor she practically twirled to see a 360 of the grand hall.

"Amazing," she said again.

Lily didn't say anything. Her uneasy feeling remained. And yet, the girl seemed perfectly sweet.

"It's the cobalt," said Cristy several minutes later, as if reading Lily's mind.

"Cobalt?" said Lily.

"It helps me to control my energy," said the girl, who seemed oddly sober compared to moments ago. "It's toxic you see. And I must spend energy to protect and heal myself from it. A constant energy drain which means I'm left with a small enough amount that I can control."

"Oh," said Lily. She couldn't be sure what she should say. It seemed rather barbaric to her. What an awful situation. "It sounds horrible."

"No, I'm lucky mostly. Lucky to have the power I suppose. And someday I can hope to obtain control of it."

"You can take the cobalt off then?"

"Well," said Christy. "That's not up to me. But I'd like to think so."

Lily wanted to ask who it was up to.. and yet she didn't want to pry. They rounded the corner into the dining hall.

"Wow, this is incredible," said Christy. "Thank you very much for showing me the way."

And with that, she seemed to bound away from Lily, who watched for a moment with intrigue before Anne and Sophie caught up to where Lily stood by the entrance.

"You ready?!" said Sophie sounding excited.

"Absolutely," said Lily. She needed a night off.

Copyrighted material

Copyrighted material. All rights reserved.