Chapter 8

Lily was given a folder with papers. She hadn't had a chance to look through them thoroughly yet, but at a glance, one seemed to be a class schedule. They decided to go to the Red Ballroom where the welcome lady said dinner would be tonight. 

Looking through the folder, Lily found a map. "I think it's this way," Lily said after a moment.

"I don't think so," said Anne, looking in the other direction.

The building was massive. There was a modern castle kind of feel about it. The inside was beautifully designed with ornate arched passageways and oversized picture windows that looked out over a snowy hillside. There seemed to be a forest to the south, and the view from the window gave the impression of being at a high elevation. 

"Oh, you're right," Lily said, turning to follow Anne, who was a few feet ahead of Lily in the stone passageway; Rotating her map as she went. "Yeah, see it looks like there's a lake or something here, and I can't see any water from this window."

It was five minutes later when they found the right room. The space was magnificent. Red strips of lavish, silky fabric hung down the stone walls making the two-story ceilings seem impossibly tall. 

Lily stood rather gobsmacked by the sheer size of the room until Anne pulled her forward towards the food tables.

The smell of the food was tantalizing as they approached. Roasted chicken, spaghetti, sandwiches, burgers, steak, and every appetizer imaginable. Nachos, potato skins, chips, and onion rings... 

Lily added a bit of everything to her plate. After over ten years of flavorless porridge and such simple food, this unexpected new reality felt like a dream. And, as she found out a few minutes later, it somehow tasted even better than a dream.

The rounded tables were set for ten people. One girl was sitting on the side opposite them. Many students were still arriving. Some chose to visit their dorms first to drop off their things and freshen up after the long day of travel.

Lily was glad they were one of the first to come. She wasn't very comfortable eating in front of a lot of people yet. Particularly strangers and in a strange place. She planned to eat quickly and then lock herself in her new living space. She wondered if she'd have any roommates... 

Anne didn't seem to have the same sense of urgency, however. She kept pausing to admire the room, and watch the other students. 

"Oh my goodness, those two are definitely going to end up together," Anne said pointing to a guy and girl talking two tables away. The couple's conversation ended abruptly a few moments later when the girl slapped the guy. The noise seemed to echo around the room for a sedated minute before the melody of other conversations, accented with occasional laughter, resumed.

"Oh yeah," Lily said in a joking way, "She certainly seems affectionate." She laughed before taking a sip of apple cider.

"I guess she's playing hard to get," said Anne, attempting to save face, but laughing instead.

The rest of the meal was pleasant. Lily was glad Anne picked up her pace, particularly when others started taking seats at their table. Or more specifically a group of guys in tailored, dark clothing. 

Lily was glad they didn't pay her much attention. One was eying up Anne though. 

"Time to head to the dorms?" Lily asked Anne, pleading with her eyes for Anne to say yes, which she did, fairly readily. Seems Anne was a bit intimidated by the guys also.

They were almost to the door when they felt an intimidating presence. 

Lily couldn't help but glance back to see the source as they made it to the door. 

It seemed to be a guy in loose dark clothing that swayed elegantly with every step he took. Lily knew that he was the source because the students around him seemed to back away instinctively as if there was some kind of invisible bubble that surrounded him. His hair was dark and hung nearly to his shoulders. Lily couldn't see any other features from where she stood.

"Do you think he's the Lycan?" said Anne in a hushed voice. 

In answer, Lily slipped out the door, pulling Anne behind her.

Copyrighted material

Copyrighted material. All rights reserved.