When You Think the Dust has Settled (12)

(Spicy content below!)

When out searching for me, one of the teams found and detained Callin, while another stumbled upon an unconscious Jewel.

They brought both of them back to a small, eerie looking building just beyond the greenhouse, slightly hidden amongst the trees. It was relatively small, entirely made of metal and concrete. It was bare and without any real personality. It felt cold.

After allowing me a much needed nights sleep, morning came and Micah offered to walk with me, explaining along the way how they were each locked in separate rooms, waiting to hear what we've decided to do with them. I held my breath as he opened the door, ushering me through.

The inside was small, only 6 rooms in total, 3 on the left and 3 on the right. Walking in, Callin was in the first room on the left, while Jewel was in the third room on the same side. My feet carried me down the dimly lit hallway, stopping in front of Jewel's room. Taking a deep breath, I looked at her through the glass.

She didn't look well, her hair freshly cut, messy and jagged, now barely reaching her shoulders. She had bruises lining her thighs, along with angry bleeding bite marks and a handprint shaped bruise around her neck. My stomach twisted at the sight of her, a heavy feeling weighting me down.

I know that look all too well.

When Micah asked what I wanted to do, I just shook my head.

"What's she's been through is more than punishment enough. We should get her help, if anything." Micah nodded in response, trying to remain unfazed, but I could see the sadness swimming in his blue eyes, the recognition. He's seen me look like that too.

It brought back painful memories for both of us.

And then, of course, there was Callin. He sat in the middle of the room, looking practically feral. I guess he got lost in the woods, his clothes were tattered and ripped, dirt covering his skin. He looked ready to pounce on the first person that dare comes through the door.

"And him?" The anger the sight of him caused Micah was notable, especially to me as we watched Callin through the one-way glass. The hallway we stood in was dim, the sun shining in from behind Micah, seeping through the door and lighting him up, making him appear to glow.

I had to think his question over for a minute, the implications. If we let him go, there's no telling if he would try to hurt me again. But I don't like the idea of keeping him prisoner here either.

"I guess, hand him over to the Council? I don't think I'll feel safe if we just let him go, but I can't be the one to decide another persons fate. Not again." My eyes glazed over as my mind drifted. Dave's body, limp and covered in blood; Jackson falling to the floor with a look of pain on his face, images of these moments flashing through my mind, trying to take me away from reality.

I had to shake the thoughts, looking up to Micah whose eyes were already trained on me. I smiled at him softly, reaching my hand up to cup his face. He leaned into my touch, closing his eyes, appearing almost angelic in the warm glow of the sun behind him.

"Then that's what we'll do." He grabbed my hand, placing a kiss to my palm before letting our hands drop, reaching out to brush my hair behind my ear.

I allowed the blush to take my cheeks, welcoming the fluttering wings of butterflies in my stomach. His affection towards me always feels so warm.

Grabbing his hand, I smiled at him. He returned my smile giving my hand a squeeze. I dragged him along, leading him away from the rooms and out of the hall, into the shinning sky. He didn't say anything, just allowed me to pull him until we got into the main house, where I continued to pull him into his room.