4.

ROWAN

It was bad idea...

It was a bad idea to bring Millie to the cafeteria to eat. My first idea was to take her off-campus, even though she doesn't strike me as the kind of girl who would want to go to the best pizza place in town, where I'm friends with the owner and she'll ask for whatever toppings she wants, even if it's Fritos spread on a thick layer of cheese.

Now I know she is! Exactly the kind of chick who would appreciate that over the others, but still, the cafeteria seemed like the first rung, the safer place.

And my fucking balls.

"Everyone's watching us" whispers Millie.

And it's true. Ever since we walked in, all the girls have been giving her stares like they're going to call her a witch at any moment.

I know everyone's used to seeing the perfect specimen of a chick with a jock at a party, but to sit down openly for lunch with someone and have a good time in their company seems to be a local sensation. I feel like a fucking star being stalked by paparazzi.

Millie being the complete opposite of all the girls I've been involved with just adds to it. I can see the warmth and depth in her dark, long hair as the light hits it. Just like her green eyes, which are darker than mine. Her flushed cheekbone bulges slightly, the tip of her nose curves upwards and it makes her look like a sexy little elf. I won't even talk about her kissable cupid's-arch lips, which I can still recall the taste of, and the tiny sounds that left them when I fell for her. From beneath her low-cut patterned sweater peeks a tattoo of a bird and tree branches, inked in a mix of purple and pink. Somewhere on her shoulder the pattern spreads out, and I'm dying to see it all and explore it. With my tongue, say.

I have a tattoo in a similar place, and I'd love to show it to her. Like naked in my bed.

Yeah, I've undeniably turned back into a horny teenager.

"Ignore them, Mills."

"Mills?" She's got a bright smile on her face. "Is that my nickname, Rows?"

"Gosh, I didn't think that through," I groan painfully.

"No, no, you can't take it back now" she laughs, tilting her head to the side. She does this a lot and it's fucking sweet. "So, are you going to tell me the reasons why you think I should date you?"

She wraps a big dollop of noodles around her fork and I watch as she slowly slides them into her mouth with a look of pleasure on her face. I swallow hard. I've never met a woman who didn't embarrass me when she needed to eat. I don't know why girls feel self-conscious at a time like this. The human body needs nourishment, so I doubt anyone should be stressed about it.

"Okay," I clear my throat and lean back on the table. "You like to eat, and I know places in town I'm sure you've never been."

"Like where?" She raises a dark eyebrow.

"There's a pizza place that won't lie, they'll put anything on your order as a topping."

"Fritos, too?" her eyes light up, and I'm stunned.

"Please marry me."

She laughs out loud, and the table of girls next to us turns to us questioningly.

"Ladies?" I nod towards them, then turn back to my future date.

"Two," I point out. "I'm an Adonis in the flesh, a sensitive, artistic soul who recently changed majors to pursue his passion" I place my hand on my chest for greater effect.