19.

MILLIE

I walked through the door like I'd been hit by a bus. My eyes were swollen from crying so much and I felt terrible that I had to come. I feel sad that I can't be there for Camie, and also sad that I couldn't finally talk things over with Rowan.

I lean my head on the counter and peer out the window. Jo slides me a mug of hot coffee.

"Oh, honey, it gets easier with time."

I snort.

"I so want to talk to him," I murmur. "My phone is dead and it needs a little more time to charge it."

"It's not a phone thing, sweetie."

"I know, but just in case he texted," I sigh, then look up at my friend. "Do you think he'll say it back?"

"Have you seen the way he looks at you? Yes Millie, he loves you, believe me" she looks at me seriously. "As soon as the baby is born, he will be here and conquer you. "

"He was so angry" I shake my head.

My stomach cramped at the way he was hurt when I refused, but what did he expect? It's not the answer to everything. Sometimes it's good, but somehow it didn't seem appropriate in this situation.

"Can I ask you a question?" leans Jo on the counter. "Are you in love with him?"

"Of course I am, I confessed to him."

"And he said he wanted to make love to you, sorry he want you, right? Not that he wants to fuck you."

"He did," I whisper.

"And I make love to the man I'm in love with," she smiles.

"Exactly", says the man's voice from the sofa.

"What is he doing here anyway?" I point to Dylan who is watching a football game in our living room. He's been here since I arrived, but I've been so emotionally exhausted that I've only just woken up to his presence.

"I have no idea. He's been here for days. Anyway, your boyfriend called, but he wouldn't tell me what he said."

"Really?"

"Yeah, and I even flashed him my bra. You see that? That's how good a friend I am."

I'm about to make a very pithy remark when I hear the bass of a familiar tune from downstairs. Jo and I look at each other questioningly, and we both run to the balcony.

When we step out onto it, it takes me a few seconds to take in the sight.

"I don't believe this!"

"There's no such thing..." Jo says dazedly, stretching like a meerkat to get a better view.

Rowan is blaring the theme song to You Can Say Anything from a tape recorder held above his head, while Brox leans against his car and cams. I can see he's having trouble holding back his laughter, but my boyfriend is obsessed with watching our balcony. I step forward so he can see me and shake my head in disbelief.

"Hey Queen," Jo calls down. "Where are your balls?"

Brox laughs loudly, and then Dylan appears out of nowhere.

"Dude, did you know there's more volume?"

I can see Rowan holding the tape recorder in front of him and cursing as he turns up the volume.

By this time, students are looking out of several apartments and whistling loudly. Some girls whoop and whoop, and one even makes an offer.

"Mildred Zakharov. Get your pretty little ass down here, or I'll stand here all night bawling this shit out."