Chapter 5

"No," Alistair argued over breakfast. "You missed years of training. That's more important than going to school."

Whose fault is that? She thought bitterly. "It's not about school," Natania replied, trying to stay reasonable. "It's about knowing my own pack. They don't know me, they don't respect me, and we're going to be officially made a pack this year. I need to know them, their strengths and weaknesses, and establish the new ranks. I don't even know who to make my second." They had been bound by blood six years ago, when her father had reclaimed her, but there was no established order in the pack.

"Ezra's son should be your second," he said, naming his own second. "And their ranks are already established."

"No, he shouldn't," Natania growled. She didn't know Avery well, and his sister Hayley was the bane of her existence. "I barely know Avery, he can't be my second if I don't trust him. Plus the children are not the parents. They should earn their own ranks. Hayley is a coward, should that be my third?" She challenged.

She would have liked to mention that his second and third both had two children, so that would screw up the ranking as well, but she knew he would just say the male should be higher.

Alistair narrowed his eyes. "You can't break every tradition."

"I can if they're stupid traditions," Natania grumbled. "I need to be around my pack, I bet you weren't kept isolated from yours when you were my age."

Alistair sniffed. "I didn't miss ten years of training."

"Whose fault is that?" she snapped, losing her cool. "Stop punishing me for your crappy choices. I'm going, we can train in the evenings if you want, but I'm going." Knowing she was in for a snarl fest, Natania turned and ran out the door, not giving him a chance to argue.

She'd forgotten to grab her bag in her haste but she didn't care. She wasn't going back there. The forest flew by in a blur as she ran, paws steady on the familiar ground. When the pine needles changed to tilled soil, she slowed.

Sara's house was the same as she remembered, but the garden was much bigger. Even in its not yet planted state. Natania pushed through the wolf door without knocking, almost running straight into Branson, who was tying his shoes by the door.

"Whoa! Nat? What are you doing here?" he asked, regaining his balance.

"We're going to class," she replied, like it should have been obvious.

"You convinced him? Where is your stuff?"

Natania huffed and turned her back. "I don't care what he wants. And I don't want to talk about it."

Branson laughed, which caught the attention of Sara. "You can borrow some of mine," he said as Sara approached.

"Natania! What are you doing here?" Sara crouched down and Natania walked into her arms.

"Walking Branson to class. I missed you." Natania pressed into Sara, almost pushing her over.

"I missed you too Sunshine, how are you doing?"

"Alistair broke her ribs a couple days ago," Branson broke in. "So probably not that good."

Natania narrowed her eyes at him as Sara gasped. "Just a training accident, I'm perfectly fine," Natania assured her. Not mentioning that that was a common enough occurrence where her father was concerned. Sara was too gentle for that kind of thing. She didn't want her foster mother to worry.

"That's quite the accident," Sara said, her tone laced with suspicion.

"Look what you did," Natania grumbled at Branson, only letting him hear her. "Don't tell her shit like that."