19. Soul Searching

"Get out of my way, Butok." Rahn glared at him.

"No." He smirked at her.

"Come on, you know if I don't get these delivered, Alk will have my head."

Butok shrugged. "Not my problem, Lana."

"Why are you bugging me today anyway, don't you have anything you're supposed to be doing?"

"Of course I do."

"Then go do that. Hopefully somewhere far away from me."

"See, that would be difficult."

She sighed heavily as she tried to push past him but failed. "Why is that, Butok?"

"Because I'm supposed to be watching you."

She groaned. "I thought we were past that at this point. Besides, it's not like I can go anywhere. I'm still a prisoner here. Thanks to you."

"Don't look at it that way." He said as he turned and allowed her to pass, walking closely beside her through the narrow hall.

"Yeah, yeah I know. This is my opportunity to prove myself. What no one has told me is what happens to people who don't pass the test. If I'm found unworthy of joining this big, secret... operation, or whatever it is, then what's the plan? Do I just get set free?" She stopped and turned to face him. "Or do I never see the light of day again? One way or another."

"I don't think you'll have to worry about that. You've been here for a little over a week now and I think you've made a great impression."

She scoffed as she turned and continued walking. "How? Delivering supplies to and from different parts of this compound, or whatever this place is." The narrow hall opened up to a larger area where many halls came together. Many Qarthans could be seen hustling about, going in and out of the tunnel like hallways. She paused in the middle of the room and looked up to the tall dome shaped ceiling filled with skylights, closing her eyes as she let the natural sunlight warm her face.

"What are you doing?"

"I would think it's obvious." She said without opening her eyes.

"Humor me."

"I'm imagining I'm above ground, in the open air. This dungeon is pretty depressing, you know. If I ever get out of here I think the first thing I'll do is go for a good, long run in the forest." She frowned. "I miss my runs. You're going to make me get all slow and out of shape down here."

"I'm sure you've found other ways to exercise."

"Of course. But none clear my head quite like a really long run. Before long I'm going to be pretty grumpy."

"I think we're already to that point."

She smirked at him. "If you're getting tired of me, you could always let me go."

"You and I both know you don't actually want to be released. You want to be let in."

"Is that so?"

"Definitely. I've been doing this long enough to tell who's going to make it."

"Oh yeah?" She opened her eyes and turned to look at him. "I don't suppose you'll tell me how much longer this process is supposed to take?"

He shook his head. "Sorry, no can do."

She sighed as she turned and continued to her task. "All a part of the process, I imagine. And I also imagine that I must have absolutely no brain in my head to go along with all of this. I still don't even know what this place is all about."