34. Progress

Dom found himself inside of Rahn's undercover dwelling again. He had to be missing something.

While the guards and the Premier were off doing their standard search procedures, he was the one who knew Rahn's patterns over the last several weeks the best. He was the one who had actually witnessed some of her interactions with people from the group. So he was the most likely to find her. And for not the first time, he cursed himself for not pushing her for more information. She had wanted to just be given a free reign to do her job, and he had given her that. Besides, it's not like he didn't have his own responsibilities.

Despite that, he somehow felt like he had let her down. He knew she was probably still working the undercover angle, but that could always be compromised. He had no idea if she was still being treated as one of their new recruits, or if she was thrown in with the other prisoners they had. Not to mention all of the others that were taken and in danger.

He had read through every single file, every note, every detail she had saved on the tablet countless times. But still nothing new stood out to him. Her dwelling was so basic, it could've been anyone living here. Other than the punching bag hanging in her bedroom, of course.

He was standing there leaning with his back against her bedroom wall, his arms crossed as he stared at the large bag of beans she had turned into a punching bag. Trying to think of any other clues she might have given him. Even if it was something she hadn't realized was a clue herself. With nothing new coming to mind, his eyes zeroed in on the label on the bag.

With no other leads to pursue, he might as well go check it out. Dusk had settled and darkness had taken over nearly an hour ago. The place that sold her the bag was probably closed, but it wouldn't hurt to look.

As he made his way through the dark streets, he kept his ears alert and his eyes open for any signs of movement. Just as he thought, the Mercantile was closed for the day. As most places were. No matter what part of the world you came from, or what status your family held, all Qarthans were conscious of nature and the effect they had on it. Instead of burning needless electricity or candle supplies, most places simply closed up shop by dusk. And even at home, they relied more on their keen eyesight in the dark than they did anything else. Only on the blackest of nights could you see lights glowing through windows all throughout the homeland.

This was such a night. There was no moon to be had, and even the stars were hidden by the thick clouds in the sky. Dom was thankful for this, as it was likely the only reason why he was able to spot the lone lit window as he circled the building. As he snuck closer, he could hear voices coming from just inside.

"I hate hauling sacks of dry goods all day. My back is killing me." A male said grumpily.

"You'll get used to it." Another male's voice said more quietly. 

"Yeah I don't want to though. I plan to switch to a different job as soon as possible."

"You'll do as you're told, just like the rest of us."

"Too many rules. I got involved in all of this because I didn't like all the rules."

"No." Dom listened as the older male paused to yawn. "You got into all of this because you didn't like their rules."

"Feels like I just traded an oligarchy for a dictatorship." The younger man complained.

"Shh! Don't be heard saying such things."

"See, I can't even speak my mind when no one else is even around!"

"Lower your voice. Let's just get finished so we can go. Help me lift this crate."