NEWS UPDATE: CBA-CSC CHAIR TOPS VP BETS

CBA-CSC CHAIR TOPS VP BETSby Spencer Osorio

by Spencer Osorio

THE LEADER of the opposition party AEGIS and chairperson of CBA-CSC, Alaric Esteban, emerges as the top choice for the now vacant vice presidential spot in the University Student Council (USC), according to The Herald's poll.

Forty-four percent preferred Esteban to assume the role of vice president. He was closely followed by CAMP-CSC Chairperson Avrille Mae Padilla with 28 percent. Surprisingly, 19 percent favored Theater Arts student Fabienne Lucero. Only nine percent of the respondents remained undecided.

Esteban, who also leads the majority bloc and serves as chair pro tempore of the Legislative-Executive Committee (LEXECOM), presided over the impeachment trial of USC President Priam Torres and VP Valeria Encarnacion. However, the case failed to prosper as it fell short of one vote in the committee.

Padilla, leader of the minority bloc, is a staunch ally of the USC and chairs the SALVo party, which has consistenly supported their agenda in the LEXECOM.

Lucero, an unexpected candidate, is the female lead in the upcoming Romeo and Juliet play and is known as so-called First Lady of Torres. Despite ranking third in the poll, she has not held any elective position in the student government.

The survey, conducted two days after Encarnacion's resignation, gathered responses from 900 students across the nine colleges.

The USC has yet to release a statement regarding Torres' VP pick. The chosen candidate will need to secure approval from the LEXECOM, acting as the Committee on Appointments. A simple majority—requiring five out of nine votes—is needed to confirm the next VP.

#

And we're officially entering the VEEPSTAKE ARC! Who do you think will be the new USC vice president?