Wattpad độc quyền
Còn 25 chương miễn phí

Ch. 6: Liftoff

My grandfather leaves the office at noon on Friday, which probably means my grandmother isn't having a good day. Or worse, that maybe he was up all night caring for her and is exhausted. All of which makes me feel even more guilty that I can't be there this weekend as he asked, to spend time with her.

I managed to avoid him on Thursday by holing up in my office to get some much-needed research done. Between the breakup with Max and the conversation with my grandfather, I haven't been my most productive at work this week, and I don't want to fall behind on my cases. I have several court appearances next week that I have to prepare for.

I did stop by Dylan's office once, just to see if he would say anything about that case he brought with him that my grandfather mentioned has a connection to Max's uncle. I asked some vague questions about the cases in general that he brought with him, but he was uncharacteristically closed-mouthed so I had to give up that effort for now.

I'm not sure I even want to know, since I'd just end up learning something I'd have to keep secret from Max, and this weekend is already uncomfortable enough without adding more strain to it.

By mid-afternoon I've gotten everything done I need to in preparation for next week, so I decide to call it a day. I stop by Martina's desk and promise to text her when I'm in New York.

"Don't do anything I wouldn't do," she quips as I start to walk away, then grins since she knows that leaves me plenty of options.

I really do wish she were coming along, if only to be a buffer for all the tension I expect there will be between Max and me.

I haven't heard from him all week, except for a text message yesterday letting me know the type of clothing to pack - two cocktail dresses, something professional for meetings, a couple of casual outfits, and a bikini. I assume the bikini part is a joke, since we're staying in a fancy hotel in Manhattan, not going to the beach, so I ignore that one and pack everything else. Including a pair of absolutely not sexy pajamas in case I am in the same room with him to sleep.

I also add a yoga outfit, on the chance I'll have some time on my own to check out the hotel fitness center.

Hopefully Max will be conducting at least some business that I don't have to be present for, since the more time I spend with him the more difficult this whole situation will be for me.

I know I made the right decision, and breaking it off was inevitable. We have a fundamentally different view of right and wrong. As an attorney I am sworn to uphold the law; Max shows little or no hesitation in breaking it. There could never be a future between us, and a future with Max was exactly what I had begun to envision, while trying to close my eyes to the truth.

I also know that it only would have had gotten harder the longer I delayed it. But the thought of spending an entire weekend with Max and not touching him, not making love with him, is a heavy weight inside me that just won't go away.

* * *

When I get home I double check that I've packed everything I need, then go over to my dresser and slide open the top drawer. I hesitate, then lift out the slim box and slip it into the tote that holds my make-up, my fancy crossbody purse, my laptop, and a legal pad. Since Max hasn't told me anything about why Gino and Joey D called the meeting and what will be expected of me, I want to be prepared.

I'm not sure whether I'm disappointed or relieved when Gabe, and not Max, texts me that he's here to pick me up, and asks if I need any help with my bags. I text back that I'm fine, and I'll be right down. It's only a weekend, so my single roller bag plus my tote had plenty of room for everything I was packing.