Wattpad Original
There are 12 more free parts

Ch. 19: Accusations

"We need to call security," I tell my grandfather, and he stares back at me.

"Hadley," he begins, but I cut him off.

"This is the man who's been following me. He tried to force me into a car when I came out of the courthouse last week."

I stare at him, and pull my phone out of my pocket. "Give me one reason why I shouldn't call the police right now."

"Hadley," Andrew says sharply, and I shift to face him.

"Hadley, this is the FBI." Then he turns to face the man I've been staring at. "Agent Collins, you want to tell me what the hell you were doing manhandling my granddaughter?"

The man's voice is even. "I did not try to force you into a car. I asked you to join us so we could have a conversation in private."

"You reached in your jacket for a gun."

"I was reaching for my badge," Collins says, and repeats the gesture.

I walk farther into the room, and reach across the conference table. "Hand it to me," I tell him, and he does, exchanging a look of surprise with the woman beside him that tells me most people just glance at it and don't verify. It's in a leather folder that contains a gold badge and an ID card with his photo.

I walk over to the side table where there's a phone, and dial Martina's extension.

"Martina, I need to you call the FBI and confirm whether they have a Special Agent Nicholas Collins. Male, white, about 6'2", brown hair."

"Sure," Martina says, as if this were nothing out of the ordinary. "Let me put you on hold for a moment while I call."

We all wait. My grandfather is looking at me like I've lost my mind. I don't care. This man has been following me and tried to get me into a car and I'm not going to take his word for who he is. They can all just wait.

Martina comes back onto the line. "He checks out," she tells me.

"Thank you," I say and hang up the phone, then walk back over and return the badge and ID.

"Are you always this suspicious?" he asks me.

Before I can respond, my grandfather speaks up. "If you had bothered to identify yourself as a federal agent when you accosted my granddaughter on the street outside the courthouse, perhaps she wouldn't have been as suspicious of you today."

"That's correct," I confirm. "Although as an attorney I advise my clients to always check credentials if they are approached by someone claiming to be law enforcement."

I take a seat at the table directly across from him.

"What can I do for you, Agent Collins?"

"We're interested in your relationship with Maxwell Bennett."

"Maxwell Bennett is serving a life sentence in a federal penitentiary," my grandfather says. "I'm sure Hadley has never met him."

The agent's eyes flick over to my grandfather. "But you have?"

"Unfortunately, yes." Andrew's mouth is set in a hard line. He may not have confirmed their ID, but it's clear he's not intimidated by their presence.

"Maxwell Bennett, Jr." the woman qualifies, and I turn my attention to her.

"Special Agent Jazzmine Davis," she provides. "Do you want to see my credentials?"

"No. Since Agent Collins checked out, I'm going to assume I can take you at your word."