19

Damien lets out a little chuckle, his blue eyes sparkling. "Why 'my love'?" He takes his other hand and strokes her face with his fingertips, causing her to close her eyes and let out a small sigh. He...whispers the words. "I love you, Genevieve. That's why."

Genie's eyes shoot open in shock. He loves me. Already? As her heartrate starts to pick up, a question pops into her head that causes her breathing to quicken as well. Oh, no. Does he want me to say it back? Her eyes close again and she tries to calm herself down, but it doesn't work. I don't think I can say those words right now.

She hears him chuckle before he moves away from her ear, causing the beating of her heart to only pick up more. Good lord, that laugh. This boy doesn't give me butterflies, he gives me the whole friggin' zoo!

She slowly opens her eyes, seeing his twinkling blue ones staring deeply into hers. It's as if he's looking into my soul. A small smile appears on his face, his eyes still not leaving hers. Genie can't seem to even turn her head to look away, let alone speak. She's frozen in place by Damien's icy yet warm gaze.

Can he tell how much I care for him already? How much being away from him for even a day felt like a year? How much I missed him these past few weeks? Can he see it? Genie blinks a few times, trying to break the trance-like state that she's in but to no avail. Am I, in love?

She watches him open his mouth to speak, asking her the question that probably any girl in the school would have wanted to hear from him. "Do you want to go to the Valentine's dance with me, Genevieve?"

_______________

"Genevieve?" Damien brings his hand up to her face and lightly traces his fingertips along her cheek, trying to get her attention. "Are you alright? You seem a little-" Off? No, that sounds mean. Weird? Good lord, no! That's even worse than the first one. "Uhm, lost?" He watches as her eyes slowly regain their focus.

"S-sorry, what did you just ask? I- couldn't hear it." Genie's cheeks start to flush a bright red and she looks down, slightly embarrassed.

Jesus, she's so adorable when she blushes. He laughs a little and puts a finger under her chin, tilting her head up to look at him. "I asked if you would like to go to the Valentine's dance together." Damien tilts his head, awaiting her answer. Please, say yes.

_______________

He's asking me to the dance!? ME? Genie looks into his eyes, checking for any signs of joking. There are none.

He's being serious. What should I say? She closes her eyes, her thoughts going a mile a minute. I would love to go with him, but I have nothing fancy enough for it.

Shoot! What do I say!? She puts her arms around herself, her eyes still closed.

_______________

Damien's brows knit together, and his gaze turns into one of uncertainty. Maybe I shouldn't have asked? He lets out a sad sigh. Maybe I was right. His eyes squeeze shut, tears threatening to spill. Maybe she does despise me now.

His hand drops down into his lap, his voice barely audible. "It's alright. You don't have to answer." He drops his head into his hands, a shaky and sad laugh escaping his mouth. "I guess I should get going. Mr. Park is probably wondering why I haven't shown up to work yet." I don't want anyone else hating me.

He stands up and starts to take a step towards the door until he feels a soft grip around his wrist. His eyes blink open and look at her hand. He's slightly confused, his eyebrows knitting together again.

He doesn't say a word, his gaze slowly drifting to Genie as she shakes her head, then nods. A small grin appearing on her face before she speaks. "I would love to go to the dance with you, Damien!" She said yes? She said yes!? His eyes widen in shock before his lips turn up into a bright smile, the tears in his eyes disappearing instantly.