Chapter Eleven: Out of my Element

I'm laying on silky rose red sheets about to activate my Time Machine to possibly leap five years into the past. The one thing I've learned about the fragile dreamscape my subconscious conjures is no one can predict what the chimera will come up with next. Either way, I'm ready to drift away peacefully on the next ferry, and if one despicable person wakes me from my slumber, then I'll send them to the guillotines.

If it's Alexis, I have to do a few trips to make sure I chop off every single one of her serpent heads. I'll spare Tracy in exchange for a few good lashes with my whip, plus an extra swing for good measure. I'll keep Jessica for the simple principle that she isn't insufferable like the other two.

It's nothing like closing my eyelids and counting how I'll conquer all my enemies to fall deeper asleep. The thought of revenge soothes my sleepless afternoon, causing me to snuggle closer into the plush pillow. Silence fills the bedroom with serenity, floating above the room in the form of puffy white clouds of mist.

Every molecule in my brain tells me to reach for a slice of heaven, so I wield my hand to grab hold of it. It feels like electricity igniting on every inch of my skin, except untouched euphoria spreads through my body. A sweet voice asks, 'What are you waiting for?' Before I know what's happening, I leap off the bed. I'm ready to plunge my entire soul into tranquility; sadly, the bedroom door opens and closes shut. The clouds evaporate and I fall back to the room I thought I escaped.

"Go away," I mutter.

"I come with peace offerings," Jesse says, sitting two pink gift bags on the dresser.

"So long. Farewell." I shove my face further into the pillow.

"Ebony Phillips, you can't sleep your days away."

"I will slaughter your entire family," I say, dragging out the words.

"Ebony," Jesse shouts in my left eardrum.

I roll out of bed, landing facedown on my hands and knees while sweet Jesse giggles like a naughty schoolgirl. Admittedly, I should have expected Tracy to send Jessica to do his dirty work. It's the perfect plan because why would I expect an interaction with her to send the floor cold-cocking me harder than Sienna?

"Will you get up?" Jesse commands.

"Why so you can abuse me again, Jesse?"

"Fine," Jesse exhales. "at least tell me why you aren't outside, soaking up the sun by the beach."

"Just because we're close to a beach doesn't mean I'm letting it all hang out," I lift my head. "maybe give me a week."

"The only thing she better let hang out are her clothes on a rack," Tracy yells from outside the room.

"I see everyone's in attendance."

I pry my eyes open at the realization that Tracy and Jesse are here simultaneously. This house is enormous; there's no way they would have found themselves in my space unless this is some twisted intervention. I scan the room for any more uninvited guests because these meetings start with everyone saying their peace until they throw hands. Is sleep too much to ask for before a Jerry Springer' sit down'?

"Ignore him," Jesse says, "I'm just saying that boy is outside all by himself while the other girls are off to themselves."

I raise an eyebrow, wondering where her point is heading. "Then he isn't really alone, is he, Jessica?"

"I mean, Lexie's little friends are practically throwing themselves at him, but he's still swimming by himself," Jesse says innocently, pulling me next to her.

I let my body collapse backward on the mattress. "And who exactly are Lexie's little friends?"

"The usual," Jesse answers, "Naija, Sienna, Roxane, and Chloe."