6 Blackmail

Amanda 

This is not happening to me. It just can't be happening. What is this chain reaction of bad things occurring one after the other? Of misunderstandings? Of chaos and frustration! Isn't one surprise enough for one night? It's enough of a shock how that guy is my neighbour. But apparently not enough since Darwin had to see me together with him. This late. Right in front of my door. There's no way he'll believe me now.

"Darwin!" I shout after him but he doesn't heed my calling as he stomps towards his grey car. "Darwin, wait! It's not what you think." I catch up to him and grasp his arm which he pulls away immediately. Lord, there's no way it can get any worse than this. "Darwin, please. It's not what you think. He's my neighbour." I blurt out before he can stop me.

I would think it would appease him but his expression turns from anger to utter disgust. My gut wrenches as I see the way he's looking at me. Where did his soft eyes go? Those chestnut orbs that used to convey nothing but love and adoration for me. Even when we would have petty fights and I would step over the line.

Now, they've been replaced by a cold glare of hate and disappointment. By disgust and dismay. I try blinking back the tears but to no avail, as they smear my face with regret and shame. Darwin scoffs and turns around to open his car door.

"You're such a manipulator, Amanda." He snarls, looking back at me before he gets in. "I can't believe you're the one crying. Always playing the victim like you do."

"I'm not," I say, trying to quickly explain the situation before he decides to take off. "I swear to you he's my neighbour. My mom invited him in. I didn't even know he was my neighbour until now and—"

"Save it!" He growls at me. "You've always been a bad liar and you know it. And here I was, trying to patch up things between us and give you a second chance. If you wanted to sleep around then you should've just broken up with me."

"What—"

He doesn't wait for me to finish my question as he gets inside his car and drives away, not even bothering to put the seatbelt on.

Where is he getting these ideas from? He said something similar last time too. Did someone tell him that I'm sleeping around? And now that he saw me together with that August guy, how will I make him believe me? God, where did things go wrong?

Defeatedly, I go back upstairs, not bothering to conceal my tears and sniffs. As I arrive at our floor, I pick up the roses he brought for me. More tears fall as I imagine how things could've been had that August guy not been in my house. I know I shouldn't be blaming anyone but myself but his existence is contributing to my sadness.

I guess Miss Johnson wasn't lying about him being my neighbour. I should give him the books and be done with it. After that, I'm distancing myself far far away from him. If by a miracle Darwin chooses to forgive and believe me, then he'll see my neighbour as a threat.

I keep sobbing as I make my way to my apartment door. The door next to ours opens and that guy peeks his head out. When he sees it's me, he steps out and leans against the wall with a smirk. Is he entertained by this? 'Sadistic asshole!'

"So, you're officially dumped?" he asks, still smirking.

How am I expected to stay civil when he's clearly mocking me? I know it's my fault for kissing him, but must he rub salt on my fresh wound? What a jerk! I glare at him as I open the door. His next words stop me in my tracks and I see red.

"That's what you get for having assaulting lips."

That's it! Who the hell does he think he is? I hurry up inside and grab his books. He's still standing leaning against the wall when I'm back outside. He arches his brow as he looks at the books and folders tugged to my chest. I need this insensitive jerk out of my life as soon as possible. The sooner I give him his stupid books the better.