34

I felt the bed dip behind me and through my pillow the sound of Dominic moving closer to me. I don't care how long it's been or how often this happens, his scent and the fact alone that I have him still brings a smile to my face. I rolled onto my side to greet him just as he threaded his fingers with mine. This is my favorite place now, in his arms with my eyes level to his. I feel like an equal this way. His equal and no longer that scared defect that I let people label me. As his hand cupped my cheek I let my eyes flutter open but instead of their being a smile there was a look of concern.

"What's the matter? Did something happen during the run?"

Dominic's frown deepened and a single brow rose above the other.

"We took that run a whole day ago Jade. You've been asleep since." His eyes raked over me and still, that concern was present.

A tiny ounce of shock curbed my facial features, I'm sure, but I'm not all that surprised at what he'd said. The last thing I remember after leaving my in-laws' house was coming in, taking a long shower, and snuggling under the blankets. I don't think I was in bed a full minute before I fell asleep.

"I'm not going to lie to you Dominic, I'm tired. I guess restoring all those wolves took a lot out of me. How are you feeling?"

"I'm fine," he shrugged still caressing my cheek. The concerned expression never faltered but seem to increase as he looked over me. "I'm worried about you though. I came in feeling so energized that I watched you sleep all night. When you didn't wake up I called Hemming and practically screamed for him to come and check you out. You slept through everyone surrounding you and him examining you. I mean, you didn't move once. He said you were probably just drained but to keep you in bed until you felt up to getting up on your own." At that, he rolled his eyes and I laughed. Even if I weren't feeling up to getting out of bed I'd pretend I was. We both know that and by now, Hemming should too. "So we put off the meeting and trip to Redford until you're strong enough to come down and sit in."

I shook my head fighting the urge to close my eyes again. "That could be days from now and we need to bring the rest of the pack home as soon as possible. We're not going to be able to rest until we know that Cameron is no longer a threat. Have the meeting and leave right away."

"You sound like you're saying we should leave you behind. I'll admit that the idea of you being a safe distance away from Cameron makes me breathe a lot easier but I need you there Jade. You said we weren't winning before because we were standing alone and you were right. I need you there to help me restore those wolves or we'll never get them to trust us enough to come back."

Hearing him say that made my heart beat faster. "You want me there?"

"Not in the line of fire, but yes, I do."

"Maybe I could just stay at the Redford packhouse and help them prepare for the pack while you, Jax, Daddy, and Kayla take care of Cam? Then when you get back we can restore the wolves together."

Dominic smiled as he leaned forward and placed a gentle kiss on my lips. "Sounds like a plan. For now, get some more sleep and I'll fill you in on the details when the meeting is over. And you," he brushed the blankets back pressing his lips to my stomach, "don't be in there dancing around too much. Mommy's sleepy."

Silly mate of mine. What makes the fact that he actually said that to my stomach even funnier is that right on cue the baby began to move around. I noticed before that when Dominic spoke I'd feel a flutter—the same flutter that has grown a little more noticeable and feels like actual movement. Maybe he was right about them bonding. That would be so cool but yeah . . . still a little jealous about that.