16

There was no doubt in anyone's mind that the charges were brought up by Cameron. It took a whole ten minutes for Dominic to calm me down and reassure me that things would work out. How he's able to keep a level head through all this without truly knowing the outcome, is mind-boggling but admirable at the same time.

My parents and Jaxon followed us to that very intimidating building and when we walked inside we were joined by the Alpha and Doctor Hemming. The woman at the front desk beckoned Dominic forward directing him to wait in a room for someone named Harold, but I refused to let his hand go. I've never heard of any law against what we did, but my mind still works over the possible punishments. I may be a new wolf but if they hurt Dominic, on my life I swear I am going to snap.

Cameron really went all out for this by having the doctor and Alpha called here. Each second that passes now fills me with more anger as I think about it. I should have let my wolf out earlier when I had the chance because now I feel like something in me wants to explode.

"Jade," Dominic turned to me cupping my cheeks in his hands and forcing me to look at him, "I really need you to calm down. My wolf is sensing your anger and it's getting him riled up."

"How am I supposed to calm down when I don't know what's about to happen to you? I'm not even concerned about my punishment in this."

He pulled me closer pressing his lips to my forehead throwing an arm around my shoulders. I guess this was his only way of answering that and I have to admit that its working a little. I'm not as on edge as I was just a few seconds ago. Now that his scent is surrounding me, I can think. However, I'm still scared and shaking on the inside.

What if I lose him? What if they tell me I have to be with Cameron? That will be the biggest slap in the face ever—to be told I have to be with someone who didn't want me.

"Dominic." A voice similar to my mate's but a little heavier broke us from our embrace. There stood a man that looked like an older version of him with the sides of his thick dark hair greying and hazel eyes that seemed fixated on me mostly. "It's time. Follow me, Everyone."

With my hand still wrapped within Dominic's, I followed him into a room that looked very much like a courtroom with a long aisle separating the two sides and a stage with a long desk and four seats in the front of it. On one side Cameron sat facing the front while on the other side was a woman with short brown hair. My family and I were directed to sit on either side. Of course, I chose to sit behind Dominic. I wanted to be next to him throughout the whole thing and the fact that I couldn't was disappointing. Choosing a seat that was slightly off to the side of him I grabbed hold of his hand with plans to hang on to him to remain calm. Jaxon sat beside me gliding his hand up and down my back which also helped put me at ease.

"Good Morning, Everyone. I'm Councilman Harold Cruz and also the foreman. To my right is Roland Kraft, and to my left is Nadine Mitchell. The case has been heard from the Complainant, Cameron Hoyt, and in today's proceedings, everything will be reviewed and judgment is to be made. Having personal ties to the Accused, Dominic Cruz, I am excluding myself from this case, but will be here for the entire proceeding as a source of support for my son."

Son? I mentally slapped myself as he stepped down and took a seat next to the woman with short brown hair who'd been giving me the eye since I walked in beside Dominic. Yeah, they look alike, but I didn't think much of it at first. Great way to meet his parents for the first time...

"Dominic Cruz," Ms. Mitchell looked our way, "you're charged with marking the mate of another wolf and initiating a separation between the two born mates. An act such as this severs the bond between born mates weakening one's wolf, and in some documented cases leads to death. It is punishable by banishment or death depending on circumstances. Do you deny these allegations?"