Chosen

"I can see it," said the King.

"Are you sure?" the Queen asked, her leaves rustling softly.

"Yes. See how the crowd parts? See how it falls back together and smashes as a wave behind them?"

"Are you sure this is it then?"

"No. I am not sure, not about that," the King replied.

"But the signs are there: The shadow on the crystal peak of Mt. Dream; Arrow-shaped clouds point to this place; The death of all world leaders but us; Those leaders rising and calling out the One's name. It can't be much clearer," she said.

"Ah, but this could all be arranged. It is not beyond our skill, or the skill of our new friends, to make such things occur."

The Queen sighed. "Their Biegna Tare has said that they only observe and advise, not involving themselves directly in other's affairs."

"I choose not to take them at their word. Someone needs to doubt, to question," the King said.

"Always you? Don't you get weary of it? For once, wouldn't you like to be happy?"

"Every minute of every day. But I'm not made that way. I have my duty. Hush now, dear. They approach."

- - -

"You have carried your burden across all the lands. Are you weary, young one?" asked the Queen.

"No, for it is an honor to bear such a weight. I desire only to fulfill my duty."

"In front of the thousands behind you, who parted and swallowed you whole? They who shall not let you leave until you are no more?" the King asked.

"Though I shall be empty, I go on. There is no greater reward. Contained, I am free."

"Very well. If you please, your strongest branch," the Queen said.

"I give it freely and give my life to this soil. May my sacrifice be worthy, and my end brings a new beginning."

- - -

"He died well. Not a whimper," said the Queen.

"Yes. Very honorable. I see the seed growing already. The Chosen shall reach full leaf by midday."

"I hope it's a girl. I like how it goes when the woman comes first," she said.

"It will be as it is. I'm just glad my doubts were unproven."

"As do I. I'd hate to see the Pattern broken."

"If it is, then it is. A new Pattern would emerge, and things would go on. I think the best thing we can do is focus on what's here," the King said.

"Agreed. And as before, after the Chosen has spent its bud and enough humans have flowered, they will get things for an age while we go quiet?"

"Yes, until their Chosen births our next incarnation back into the world."

"I suppose we should prepare. I so want to go quiet in the fullness of light," said the Queen.

"We will, my Queen. Our leaves will mingle, and our roots intertwine. Have I told you today how very beautiful you are?"

"As you always do. And as ever, followed by more important observations."

"Then let me tell it all again in the company of so many of our kind."

"Oh, look. It's a girl."

"Excellent. I'm glad you got your wish."

"And what is your wish, my King?"

"I got my wish, ages ago, my love. And I will continue to get my wish each time we wake together."