Ch-37

The sudden screeching brakes Ryu Si-Oh had to apply sent his entire already tense body into a fit of rage.

He barely managed to keep his lips tightly sealed, which were on the verge of slipping out some damaging chain of profanity.
It was a good thing he had managed it as he had never shown his knack for using such hideous language infront of her.

Some idiot ahead had decided to stop his vehicle at an inappropriate time, leaving the people behind prone to a damaging collision.

He immediately looked to his side.

'Are you alright?'
He asked with concern. The sudden lurch of the car due to prompt brakes had sent both of them flying forwards, fortunately without any damage.

The situation was already laced with tension and unbearable silence, Tsetseg was adamant to not engage in any conversation and was rather fixated on the view outside.

'Fine' She muttered without sparing him any glance.

Ryu Si-Oh no doubt felt downcast at her silent fuming but it was a miracle that she was still there next to him.

After what had occured last between them, the chances were slim, he had seen the defeat and dismay in her eyes in their last encounter.

He had been afraid since then, afraid  if she had completely given up on him  owing to his distrust and the false hurtful things he had said in that orphanage.

Not to mention how stupidly he had treated her last when all she wanted was to give him another chance.
Sure she had lied to him but her sincerity in correcting the mistakes and actually treating him like a close companion couldn't be overlooked.

She had lied to her family for him.

The words had been electrifying when that detective had barked at him all miffed and defeated.

He unconsciously smiled at the memory, surely it was the only time he felt happy to not break his bones upfront and for once to listen to his rant.

He knew she cared and it was enough to keep his heart warm and his body going in this intense sea of madness and threats.

Tsetseg's voice paused his chain of thoughts abruptly.

'If I hadn't known about this accidentally, you wouldn't have told me at all?'
She mouthed quietly, still looking away.

A painful spasm gripped him as he detected the deep hues of gloom hidden beneath her casual voice of a facade.

It was his turn to remain silent now.

After a long struggle he had found the courage in himself to subdue his ego and approch that Hwang gum ju for an alliance, it was for his own sake yes but only partly. What his initial desire was to give himself a chance, to rise above all the muck he had been living in and dare to dream of something sweet, something that had seemed out of reach for entirety of his miserable life.

He wanted to believe Tsetseg, he desired to live and leave behind his hideous past.

In fairy tale terms, he wanted to take that leap of faith.

This was an alternative he had never considered. It was impossible in the circumstances he had lived and survived.

It was his natural instict to kill, maim, threaten and trust no one and most importantly the desire for revenge.

'You wouldn't have, right?' she sighed.

His eyes were beginning to sting. Keeping them unblinking and stern, devoid of any emotions and away from her was as wearing as it could get.
What could he say?
As a part of an alliance with her mother, he had promised not to involve her and most importantly, to stay away from her.
Although he knew it was impossible but he was willing to try for her safety.