5- You're Someone Else's

❀ KATERINA ❀

I hate crying.

I hate that I can't control it once it starts. My eyes become puffy and my face blotchy.

What's worse is doing it in front of people, specifically, my boss, who I'm certain I'm falling for after working closely with him these past few weeks.

Oh, God, I nearly kissed him—powerless against the pull drawing me to him, and those kissable lips of his. And why does he have to smell so good all the time? But his swift rejection was the dose of reality needed in that moment of complete lust and stupidity.

If I had just come clean that first day he came to work, I wouldn't be in such a big mess—blackmailed into being in a relationship with someone that makes my skin crawl in order to save my career. Sure, I'd still be drowning in debt, and carless, but at least I would be able to look William in the eye and tell him how I feel.

"Ms. Ramos? Kat?" I jump at the touch of his hand on my arm.

"Tranquila." William's gentle voice telling me to relax calms my racing heart. His eyes are full of worry as they roam over my face. I can only imagine how awful I must look. "You're going to give Joe directions where to go from here."

My gaze shifts past him and I recognize my apartment complex's clubhouse. "First building down this way." My voice cracks, and I gesture with my hand to the driver.

I begin gathering my things, trying to move as quickly as possible, hoping my trembling hands are just my imagination. Tears start building in my eyes on their own and I just want to be in bed under the covers.

"Thank you, Joe."

He offers me a warm smile with a tip of his head. "My pleasure, Miss."

Skirting my eyes from the man that sends my heart into a frenzy, I reach for the door handle. "I appreciate the lift, Mr. Cardona."

"I'll walk you up to your apartment—"

"That's not necessary."

"I insist." He pulls my bag out of my hands and climbs out of the car with me scrambling to follow behind him. "Which door?"

"Mr. Cardona, I can manage really."

"I know. But what kind of a gentleman would I be not walking you to your door?"

Mentally exhausted and emotionally drained, I give up trying to stop him. "Second floor, number twenty-five."

His long strides require me to quicken my pace, but as my door comes into view, the taped, legal pay or vacate notice—that's becoming a new normal each month— for the world to see, gives me renewed strength and energy. I rush past him, tearing the paper off my door, crumbling it in my hands.

"This is me." I pant, but force myself to straighten, and snatch my bag from his hand. I dig through it for my keys, expecting him to start his descent down the stairs. But I quickly realize he's waiting for me to open the door.

I'm hoping my jangling keys will signal him to leave, but he doesn't move. "Um, thank you again. See you in the morning."

"You're welcome. I just want to make sure you get in alright." His hands slide into his pockets waiting.

Forcing a smile, I turn toward my door and attempt to unlock my door, but my hands are shaking so much, I drop my keys. "Maldita sea." Cursing under my breath, my vision blurs with the damn tears building again. I bend down to pick them up. William's hand comes over mine and he firmly pulls my keys from my grip.