9- A Confession?

⧫ WILLIAM 

Is it possible to fall for two completely different people at once?

Two years ago, I never would have imagined being in this situation. But here I am, torn between two women—and the crazy thing is I'm not even dating either of them. One only wants me as a friend, the other is already in a relationship.

People say no one can make you feel things, but in my experience, it all depends on the intentions of the people you surround yourself with or come across. What people say can make you feel things whether it's hope, excitement or in other cases guilt, self-doubt.

Being around Pollyanna gives me the sense of longing for something more, but I can't force her to want it too or with me, for that matter. Katerina brings out a desire in me to protect her, even though she's stubborn enough and capable of handling things on her own. Her brightness and surprising impulsivity makes for interesting work days but nothing has surprised me more than the morning after the night out I spent with her and her friends.

She exuded a seductive confidence out of nowhere, going toe to toe with Fabiana, claiming me as hers of all things. But it wasn't just what she said, it was how she did it—it lit a damn fire within me.

"Where's your head at, Will?" Adam's voice brings me out of my thoughts as we drive to a restaurant for a business meeting—one I'm not particularly excited for, but I know it's in the best interest of the company.

"I'm good." I assure him, but there's skepticism in his eyes observing me. "I am. It's just business." But the doubt in my voice isn't fooling anyone. My mind can't help going back to the day my friendship with Cruz ended. He tried reaching out, left me several voice messages and apologetic texts, but nothing he could do or say would change or fix what he and Fabiana did.

"Just keep in mind, even if they accept your proposal, there's a couple of other clients shopping between the two agencies. We don't want to give any reasons to pick them over us."

"I know what's at stake."

"Good, then it shouldn't make a difference that Fabiana will be in attendance as well."

My teeth grind into each other, but I keep my focus out the car window. He doesn't know about her recent impromptu drop ins— at the office or at my penthouse.

"Nope."

Adam's eyes narrow, but he saves whatever response he wants to say as we pull up to the curb of the restaurant. Joe opens my door and I step out, buttoning my suit, taking in the surroundings.

Once inside, the hostess greets us with a cordial smile, informing us that our party is already here. Swallowing the bitter tastes of inferiority, knowing that they're waiting on us, I follow as she leads the way to our table. The restaurant is full for its lunch hour, buzzing with conversations and sounds coming from the kitchen.

Fabiana comes into view first, an expression of worry on her face. She leans in close to Cruz. He takes her hand, and brings it to his lips, consoling her from. Her hand cups his face and she slants forward pressing her lips on his; but the kiss picks up in intensity rather quickly.

The lack of emotion I feel seeing them together in person surprises me, but watching her kiss him so passionately—after her attempts to talk to me and all the bullshit she spewed about making a mistake and missing me—I can't help feeling pity for Cruz. The hostess clears her throat as we near the table, with their continued kissing.

"Oh." Fabiana startles, seeing us and wipes at her lips. She reaches to do the same to Cruz, who genuinely looks embarrassed, his hazel eyes lifting to mine slowly.