6-Nicknames and Ex's

❀ KATERINA ❀

Public transportation is not for the faint of heart.

I'm not sure I will get used to it anytime soon, but it definitely makes life and commuting to work interesting—meeting and coming into contact with all kinds of people—I've been proposed to twice in the last three days. 

But this morning's encounter takes the cake.

An older woman was ranting and raving to no one in particular as soon as she stepped onto the bus, and chose to stand rather than sit. By her appearance and nose-wrinkling body odor, it's safe to say she was homeless. Not one to judge as I've recently wondered if I'll end up on the streets, I was more curious about what her story was; where was she from? What kind of life did she have before she came to be where she is?

Moving toward the door as the bus slowed coming to my stop, she turned toward me as I approached. Hoping to spread kindness, I gave her a bright 'good morning' with a warm smile. Her response?

She spit on me.

In the bathroom at work, I try to keep the damn tears at bay, scrubbing out the foul smelling saliva from my shirt. Without my car, I don't have any spare shirts to change into and have no choice but to try to clean it as best as I can.

I had planned to get my things in order before William arrived. Ever since the fiasco with my almost kissing him, to his offering me a ride after witnessing my car being towed, and to his admitting he wanted to kiss me, things have been weird. He's quieter than usual and he's resorted to informing me of my duties via email.

Giving up on having a completely dry shirt, I slip my arms through the sleeves and begin buttoning it and tucking it into my pants. I groan, getting a whiff of the funky smell still lingering, but I grab my things and rush out of the bathroom, colliding into someone. "Umph!" They grunt, and I gasp, teetering back, but strong arms incase around me to keep me upright.

"I'm sorry," I mumble into a chest, but when the familiar cologne filters into my senses. I shut my eyes tight, humiliation washing over me. "I'm so sorry, sir." I peer up at him slowly.

William's eyes narrow and his eyebrows draw together. "Have you been crying?"

"I–" My words are cut off when I'm yanked out of his arms and spun roughly to face Malcolm.

"Katerina, I've been calling you all morning." He pulls me into a crushing hug, but then pushes me away abruptly. I stumble, trying to get my footing in heels from his hard shove, but William's hand wraps around my arm to steady me.

Malcolm leans forward and sniffs me. "I-I rode the bus this morning and someone spit on me." I explain, keeping my voice quiet with other employees walking by.

"Why are you riding the bus? And why would someone spit on you? What did you do?" He fires off question after question, but I don't appreciate his insinuating I caused the uncalled for reaction.

"All I said was good morning and smiled. But, to be fair I don't think she was completely there."

Malcolm's nose twitches. "You reek."

"Always the gentleman." I grit out, while glaring at him. He shrugs, holding his hand over his nose.

"I'm not going to lie to spare your feelings. Go home and change." He demands, like he has a right to tell me what to do.

"If you two are finished having your lover's quarrel, I need Ms. Ramos to come with me." William intervenes, his dark eyes challenging my supposed boyfriend to say something.

But he shakes his head. "She's all yours. My stomach is turning from the smell. I'll see you at lunch...maybe." Malcolm's eyes move up and down over me, turning away. William proceeds to stand in the spot he left. My face grows warm, wondering if he moved because of the smell, too.