Part 10 Men are unreliable

In the lingering glow of the setting sun, wisps of smoke rose from the village, but there was silence in the west. Sinen entered the house, casting a glance at the two fellows. Zhou Yuandong was still earnestly reading, but Zhou Yuehan clearly couldn't sit still, wearing a sleepy expression. As soon as he saw her return, he sat up abruptly, pretending to be deeply engrossed in his studies but his eyes desperately fixated on the things she brought in her hands.

When he saw the large bag of candies, his eyes lit up. Sinen placed the White Rabbit milk candies and biscuits on the table, while the other vegetables went into the kitchen. Zhou Yuehan rubbed his eyes, "Big brother, quick, look, she bought so many biscuits and candies!"

Zhou Yuandong glanced over and then averted his gaze. "But those aren't for you to look at."

In the past, their foster father would give money to their foster mother to buy food for them, but their foster mother would secretly eat it herself and wouldn't give them a second glance.

Zhou Yuehan swallowed hard and muttered, "You're right."

Sinen was in the kitchen organizing the ingredients she bought, neatly arranging various condiments and pouring rice and flour into the tubs before preparing dinner. As she boiled water for rice, she thought about what to do next. After all, she only had a hundred yuan left in her hands now, and she had spent about ten yuan today alone.

Although she was married to Zhou Yuandong, they hadn't obtained their marriage certificate yet, and she wasn't sure what he thought about their situation. Besides, she didn't like asking others for money, so she had to figure out a way to make some herself. After all, she couldn't rely on a man's money when she went to college later.

Although the Zhou family seemed to live in a big house, seeing the children looking as skinny as monkeys, she couldn't be sure if they were really doing well behind the facade.

Anyway, relying on men is unreliable. I have to rely on myself.

Sinen took out the leftover half piece of meat from the morning, washed it clean, and drained the water. She tied it tightly with a string, then marinated it with green onions, ginger, garlic, cooking wine, and star anise for half an hour to let the flavors seep in.

After the rice was cooked, she heated oil over high heat, added ginger slices to fry until fragrant, then added water and the meat to the pot along with the seasoning to simmer over low heat. She cooked it until the water reduced and the sauce thickened, and the meat turned red and shiny.

The aroma of the stewed meat filled the kitchen, wafting up in waves of rich fragrance. At this time, Zhou Yuandong and Zhou Yuehan should have been asleep, but upon smelling the aroma, Zhou Yuehan couldn't move a muscle. His eyes were fixed on the kitchen. They usually only ate two meals a day, breakfast and dinner. Aunt Liu would leave early every day to go back home and cook for her family, so their last meal was usually around half past noon. After that, they wouldn't eat until the next morning, even if they were hungry. He had already eaten an extra meat bun today, so he wasn't that hungry. But the savory aroma coming from the kitchen made him salivate uncontrollably, and he couldn't move. He completely forgot his vow never to eat his stepmother's food again. Having meat buns in the afternoon was already a surprise for him.

Now, even in the evening, there was the aroma of meat and rice. Watching Sinen come out with steaming braised pork, Zhou Yuehan was stunned, hardly believing his eyes. Rice, braised pork? Stir-fried tomatoes and eggs? Was today some kind of special occasion?

No, even on holidays, they would at most taste a bit of meat. The busier their father was on festive days, the less time he had. Aunt Liu usually just rustled up something for them to eat.

Although there was rice at home, they mostly ate cornmeal. Soaked in sour soup, he could eat two bowls. Even if there was rice to eat, it was usually cooked into porridge, and actual rice was rare. The meat they had before was fried and dry, nothing like the glossy braised pork she brought out!

Zhou Yuehan couldn't move his feet. He glanced at Sinen, then turned to look at his similarly dumbfounded older brother. Zhou Yuandong would never believe that a woman would cook meat for them. Since he was young, his mother had always scolded and beaten him, never caring about his well-being. She only treated him a bit better when that man was around, but once that man left, she would go crazy and beat him as if possessed. Several times, he had almost been beaten to death. Later, that woman died, and he was brought here by his father. Those women were usually all the same.

At first, she smiled and flattered their father. But as soon as he left, her demeanor changed instantly. It didn't matter who it was, the pattern was the same. Thinking that this woman might also be using this method to deceive them, eventually driving them away or even harming them, Zhou Yuandong's eyes filled with resentment.

Sinen glanced at the two of them, locking eyes with Zhou Yuandong, feeling a chill run down her spine. The intense malice emanating from him was palpable. It was no wonder he was known as one of the most cunning players in the future, possessing such an aura at such a young age.

In novels, the plot involving supporting characters was not detailed, and she only knew the eventual outcomes of these people. She knew he harbored such hatred towards the original owner because of the mistreatment he suffered. But now, without even lifting a finger, this child was already filled with malice towards her. Like a wary young wolf, silently observing, waiting for the day she let her guard down so he could strike.

Sinen felt somewhat powerless. People with set personalities were not easily changed. But regardless, she had to try to change their fate. After all, these few children were intertwined with her future destiny. If she didn't treat them well now, even if she left Zhou Yuanshen in the future, she might still face retaliation from these children.

"What are you standing there for? Let's eat."

Sinen threw a somewhat impolite remark before bypassing the two and heading upstairs to wake up the still-sleeping Yao Yao. Yao Yao was sleeping so soundly, her little face flushed red, incredibly adorable. When she was shaken awake, she didn't cry but instead giggled and reached out to touch Sinen's face. Human infants were just too cute!

"Yao Yao, it's time for dinner. Let's eat first, and then we can go back to sleep, alright?" Sinen coaxed the little girl downstairs, taking a quick glance at the sky, which was already completely dark. She couldn't help but ask, "When will your dad come back?"

The two kids exchanged a look, and finally, it was Zhou Yuandong who spoke up, "Dad will come back after he finishes his work."

Zhou Yuanshen often came back very late, sometimes not until well into the night, and sometimes he didn't come back at all. Sinen frowned; she had hoped they could have dinner together when he came back at night, so she had made extra. But now it seemed that Zhou Yuanshen rarely ate at home.