Chapter 11 : actor

The sound of the camera shutter was like a wake-up call. We quickly pulled apart, looking around in confusion. I walked towards the window, hoping to catch whoever took the photo, but there was no one in sight. It suddenly occurred to me that my mom might have captured the moment from the balcony outside. Determined to find out, I went to look for her, but Gavvy stopped me, insisting that we continue practicing for the play, which was just a day away. With a mix of curiosity and excitement, I set aside my thoughts and resumed practicing with Gavvy.

As the hours passed and night approached, I suggested that we should get some rest. I helped Gavvy to the guest room, but before we could enter, my mom intercepted us. She informed us that the room was already occupied by the neighbors who had an argument and needed a place to stay for the night. Surprised by this unexpected turn of events, I asked my mom who was in the guest room, as I was unaware of any other guests besides Gavvy. My mom explained the situation, and then suggested that Gavvy should sleep in my bed since there were no available futons left. Although I found my mom's behavior suspicious, I reluctantly agreed, and Gavvy and I returned to my room.

Once inside, I quickly grabbed a towel to wash up. As I started to undress, Gavvy had a mischievous idea. He touched my body, taking me by surprise, and then grabbed my waist, locking eyes with me. He leaned in, as if about to kiss me. My heart raced, pounding so loudly it felt like it might burst. However, the realization hit me that Gavvy and I were just friends and had no romantic relationship. Confused and frustrated, I asked him, "Gavvy, what are we? Why are you doing this?" He replied, "We're just friends. I don't know, maybe I wanted to practice kissing?" His vague response only fueled my annoyance, and I pushed him away, retreating to the bathroom to wash up.

After finishing my own wash-up, I handed Gavvy the towel, urging him to do the same. He accepted it and began undressing, revealing his body. Once again, my heart raced, and my mind couldn't help but wander into inappropriate thoughts. I caught myself daydreaming, but snapped out of it when Gavvy called out, asking for clothes to borrow. I quickly found something suitable for him and handed it over. While giving the clothes, I peek into his body and Gavvy caught me and told me, "Hey! My eyes are up here.", I responded saying, "I'm not staring at your body, it's just that I like it... I mean your body.. No I mean I like your abs the way it's just there.", he then replied with "alright, I'm going to wash up now you can stare at it later after I'm done." He then closes the door and continues to wash up. Trying to cover up my embarrassment, I hurried back to my bed, covering myself with the blanket, curling up in embarrassment.

Gavvy finished washing up and joined me, pretending to fall asleep. He scooted closer, lying down beside me, and we turned off the lights. Everything seemed normal, until Gavvy leaned over and kissed my cheek, whispering a soft goodnight. After that, nothing else happened. We both drifted off to sleep.

However, in the middle of the night, I was awakened by the sound of the camera shutter. Although it caught my attention, I chose to ignore it and went back to sleep. The mystery of the camera remained unsolved, but it was overshadowed by the confusion and tension between Gavvy and me.

The morning sun streamed through the window as my mom drew back the curtains, rousing us from sleep. I blinked open my eyes to find myself cuddling with Gavvy. Startled, I quickly sat up, only to be met with my mom's amused expression. "Calm down, Van," she chided, "It's early in the morning. I know today is your play, but there's no need to act so surprised." I attempted to defend myself, but realizing it would be futile, I let it go and decided to wake Gavvy instead.

Once Gavvy was awake, I headed downstairs to prepare breakfast. As I cooked, my mom set the table, with Gavvy lending a hand. I overheard my mom telling Gavvy, "Hey, um.. You know I'm cool with you being Van's boyfriend, just take good care of him." I quickly interrupted, "Mom! Stop saying that, we're just friends." She simply shrugged and replied, "Whatever you say, dear." Once breakfast was ready, we all sat down to eat.

After our meal, Gavvy and I returned to my room to change. I lent Gavvy some of my clothes, and then we headed downstairs to inform my mom that we were leaving for school. Walking together, we bumped into the director of our play. She informed us of an emergency meeting at the school auditorium. The three of us hurriedly made our way there.

Once gathered in the auditorium, the director broke the news that Rayvyn, the main actor, couldn't make it to the play. We brainstormed for possible solutions. I asked if we could postpone the play, but I was told that tickets had already been sold and postponement wasn't an option. One of the members suggested that whoever knew the script should replace Rayvyn. Since I was the only one who had memorized the script, the director asked me to take on the role. I was hesitant, doubting my acting skills and appearance, but the director reassured me, "You don't have to be professional, you just need to know the script and deliver the emotions. Plus, you've already rehearsed with Gavvy, so your chemistry with him will be phenomenal." Left with no choice but to agreed.

Gavvy and I retreated backstage to rehearse, while the rest of the production team prepared the stage. Backstage, my nerves threatened to get the better of me. I worried about forgetting my lines, failing on stage, or even falling ill during the play. Sensing my anxiety, Gavvy turned to me, took my arms, and looked deep into my eyes. "Van, you've got this," he said with a reassuring smile. "You've worked so hard and I know you can do it. Just believe in yourself." His words calmed my racing heart, and I felt a surge of determination. With Gavvy by my side, I knew I could face any challenge.

As the time for the play drew near, the backstage buzzed with excitement and nervous energy. The stage crew made final adjustments to the set, the lighting team tested the spotlights, and the sound engineer checked the microphones. Gavvy and I ran through our scenes one last time, fine-tuning our chemistry and timing.

Finally, the moment arrived. The curtains lifted, and the audience erupted into applause. Stepping onto the stage, I took a deep breath and let the character consume me.

(To be continued...)

$_$

crdts
Gawin - u.e.
clint - please, believe me!