Release - Part 1

"Couldn't we at least take home the leftovers?" Cole asked while they stood at the coat check.

The muscle in Gideon's jaw jumped. "I have my own personal chef. Do you want me to call him and make sure a macaroni and cheese is waiting for you when we get home?"

"Don't bother Andre," Cole mumbled. Gideon hummed and pulled out his phone, which made Cole's eyes pop wide. He nearly leaped on the man's arm to prevent him from interrupting Andre's weekend off but then realized he was just calling their driver to bring the car around. He'd been prepared to drink tonight. Their coats were brought out and he shrugged into his, while Gideon just draped his over his arm. Warmed by his rage, Cole supposed.

"What the hell was that with my fucking fingers?" he asked as Gideon held the door open for him to walk outside.

"Intrusive thought," Gideon said shortly. "Sorry if it made you uncomfortable."

Gideon was having intrusive thoughts about sucking on his fingers? Cole's cheeks warmed at the idea. He decided to forgive him for doing that without warning in front of his family because the poor guy was clearly the most uncomfortable person by a mile.

As they waited on the front steps for the car, he leaned into Gideon's arm and tilted his head up to say, "I really didn't think that was all that bad. We already knew they weren't going to let you get a divorce."

Gideon said nothing. The muscle in his jaw was still jumping. He was going to grind his teeth down into little numbs if he did not learn to relax someday. Cole sighed and leaned his cheek against Gideon's shoulder, a little amazed and pleased that Gideon allowed it. The car ride home continued to be tense, but all Cole felt was relief that the whole ordeal was over.

Except Gideon was apparently waiting to have an outburst as soon as they walked through the door when they got home. They stood in the foyer, as usual. Cole was considering whether he was going to sort through the take-out menus or scrounge about for whatever food Andre kept in the kitchen—hopefully, snacks or something easy to throw together. His stomach growled. He could eat some of that granola that was slowly growing on him.

On the other hand, Gideon's thoughts were stuck in the restaurant.

"I can't believe them. They are a bunch of fucking assholes."

He was still livid. His body was turned away from Cole, hands running through his hair. He had not moved to take off his coat or his shoes, just marinating in his anger, unwilling to unwind from the ball of rage his family spun him into.

"Not only is Ezra backing up James, who threatened you." Gideon growled, "But he actually threatened you as well. How could they get it so twisted?"

Cole remained silent. He was not terribly surprised with how events went and was just glad they were over. It was actually a little amusing that Gideon and he had never thought of signing a prenup. James had also never brought up before wedding them, likely on purpose, so that he could create this entire situation. James was thinking two steps ahead. It was psychotic.

Had Gideon's entire life been like this?

Here he was, trapped in a corner by his brother, who twisted the rest of the family into thinking Gideon had walked into a situation he could not handle because he was hot-headed and easily manipulated. They were shaking their heads and laughing at him right now over that stupid dinner table. Gideon, who insisted on no expectations, played the piano when he was upset, and came home with blood on him from taking care of things for the people who were currently laughing at him, did not deserve that. It was like watching a dog that had been trained to fight end up locked away in a cage and laughed at because he bit the sticks that poked and prodded at him through the bars.