Chapter 21

The barrage of servants pouring into my room the next day sent me into a mini panic attack, but then I remembered where I was and relaxed a bit. I let them bundle me up to the 'bathing chamber', wondering why they were rushing so much. When I emerged another group of women filed in, fitting me into a riding gear I could have very well worn on my own.

They left soon after and I exited the room to meet my guide.

I froze.

Was I... Dreaming?

A familiar chiseled face stared down at me without a trace of expression. Dressed freshly in a similar outfit as me was Sebastian.

Time stretched and I knew I was staring but I couldn't find it in me to stop. Something warm suddenly swole in my chest and I asked in a bare whisper, "You didn't...you didn't leave?"

All he said was, "You're late for your riding lessons."

My face fell. All too soon a familiar irritation fell over me and I walked quickly to catch up with him, scowling up at his broad back.

We made it to the Great Hall and soon we were striding out the busy entrance. The melodious sound of music from the bards beside the burning hearth floated past the twin doors. I became aware no guards walked with me, just Sebastian.

What the hell happened to make him stay? He had seemed bent on leaving once he brought me to my father. I stared at the muscles in his back that flexed as he strode, the back of his midnight black hair, feeling disbelief wrap around my chest again. He really was here.

The neigh of what seemed like hundreds of horses had me looking up ahead. We were drawing closer to the impossibly wide plains of grassland that was the ranch. A huge stable stood at a distance, stable hands pouring in and out.

Sebastian exchanged a few words with them before leading me in. I was immediately enveloped with the musty, comforting smell of horses The stable men bowed low as I entered, murmuring their good mornings. I returned their greetings with a small smile.

The stable was even larger on the inside, bright light pouring in through the many windows. Horse stalls that were more than I could count stretched down, and from them, their proud muzzles stuck hung out, mouths chewing slowly on hay.

A short middle-aged man came up to us, eyes bright. He bowed, "Good morning, princess. Welcome to the royal mews. We have just the horse for you to start off your practice." He led us far down the stable, chattering excitedly as he went. He motioned at a stall. "This is Hilda, a mare gifted to the king by the fey court, Heosè. She's quite very gentle and has seated many a noble new to horse riding."

When I shook my head, he continued on.

He stopped before a stall, his voice lowering with reverence. In it, the largest black steed I'd ever seen looked back at me. The man patted the side of its neck, rubbing gently. "This is Sebastian. One of the few breeds of its kind left. Don't let his size fool you, he's as gentle as a rabbit. A friendly giant, if you might."

Amused, I couldn't help picking that out of context... Sebastian, a rabbit? A quiet snort escaped me and I thought I felt a cold glare on my nape. My smile increased, and out of spite I leaned in and ran my hands down its soft mane, quickly becoming amazed.

I stopped myself from taking a whiff of it. A devious smile stretched my lips. "Sebastian," I purred, petting him. From the corner of my eyes, I saw the human Sebastian stiffen, eyes darkening with anger and part lust. "Now who's a good boy? Yes y--"