Chapter 35

"What they did is no different from what they're doing to the humans," Seth said. "They sought to dominate us. And for a while they succeeded, before the people of Abberdin fought back."

I took in the information, anger boiling anew in my gut.

"The vampires are cruel. They do obscene things to their prisoners. No one wishes to fall prey to those leeches. They are terrible and heartless."

It was at that moment the queen returned back to seat. "Alright, timeout. Time to take a break, ladies."

We disentangled. While he went to the opposite end of the room, I made my way over to the food trolleys where Ysmay had been. A noble intercepted me.

She curtsied, but a sly look remained in her eyes. "You look lovely tonight, your highness."

"Thank you," I said. "Your dress looks stunning."

"I'd started to wonder where that vampire of yours went to."

"Ah, then that makes two of us." I tried to sound offhanded.

"Really? I'd thought the both of you were really close."

"We are," I said without thinking.

"Not as close then if he didn't tell you his whereabouts."

I drew to a stop. "What's your point?"

She smiled. "My point is I want him for myself. I know everyone makes such a big deal about the vampires being utter cocks for what they did to us, but I don't mind. I'm not a salty person."

"Okay."

"What is he to you?"

Stopping, I looked her square in the face. "None of your business."

The sly look returned. "Is that defensiveness I hear in your tone, your majesty?"

My hackles rose. "No. I think that's fatigue. I'm tired of your questions."

A frown tightened her features and she stepped away, leaving me to continue my walk down to the food table. A quick look around told me Ysmay wasn't here anymore.

"Yummy," someone mumbled from beside me.

I looked down to see a pudgy girl. Her yellow dress stretched over an ample middle.

"Mind if I take one?" I asked in a polite tone.

She looked down at her plate and gave it quite a thought before she said, "Certainly, your majesty."

Chewing a piece of chocolate, I said, "It's Eleanor."

She looked startled. "We are never to address any member of the royal family by their given na--"

"Well, I am a member of the royal family and I command you to do so."

A pause before a wide grin split her face. "Oh, my sisters would love to know I've spoken to you."

"Really?" I asked.

"Yes," she said. "If only to compare you with themselves."