Chapter 12 Sweater

*The time Cristine was still in a coma*

Muffled sounds of leather shoes and the machine giving life to the person lying on the bed were the only audible sounds in the room. The man who slowly walked towards the bed wore a bandage around his head and his handsome face also had wounds on them. He gazed at the girl and remembered the words of his grandfather.

"You should take responsibility of her. It could've been easier if she just got scratched and we could only pay for her medical bills and compensate her. But, that girl could lose her life or could forever be in that state. We can't pay for her life, so I had to write that contract. With this, we could repay her." The old man shook his head. "She had a great future ahead of her." He looked at the young man in front of him. "Do you get what I mean? It was you who destroyed her. It's all because of your carelessness. Our family doesn't allow debts. If she wakes up, it will be better for us. But if she doesn't, we will be forever be indebted to her family. Go visit her... and hope she wakes up."

Clint looked at the girl soundly sleeping on the bed. He smirked. It was not only the girl who has been ruined. Even his reputation which he protected for all the years, was tainted. He just wanted to live a peaceful life but that was shattered in a night. Drunk driving? He never even drank a sip of alcohol that night. So, how did he wake up in a hospital. He only remembered being dragged by his younger brother at a bar with his friends partying. After the party, he got on his car and drove home. Whatever happened while he was driving, he couldn't remember it at all.

All of it happened just after his grandfather announced him as the heir of the company. The incident was weird in all sense. It was not a coincidence at all. Whoever did this, might have a grudge on him and doesn't want him to take over the company. He needed to investigate it.

He became very busy in the company's affairs and in the investigation of that night so he didn't have time to visit the girl again. But after visiting her, he always had the same nightmares every night. He dreamt of driving in an isolated road in the darkest of the night. It seemed to be a very peaceful night but once he was about to pass a crossing, he didn't notice a girl on the road so he ended up bumping her. He went out of the car and saw a bloody body in front of his car. Blood trickled on his temples as he walked. He wasn't sure if she was alive so he went near her to check. As he crouched down, the bloody eyes of the girl burst open. Her eyes stared at him with killing intent. While lying down, she lifted a hand and reached for his neck. She tightened her grip and choked him.

Clint closed the file he was reviewing and looked at the man standing near him, "I didn't know he harbored hate towards me to the point that he even drugged me."

The man replied, "It is understandable. He is just an illegitimate child brought into your family. Of course he would be jealous that you are the one inheriting the company."

"I treated him well and yet he...", Clint's eyes were full of anger. "I'll let him rot in prison. Mr. Song, I guess we have to learn not to trust people easily."

The man quietly replied, "Yes, Sir."

Clint drove to the hospital. It was already late at night so visitors were not allowed. He quietly stood at the entrance and the next minute, he was able to slip inside. He walked on the girl's side and grabbed a stool. He sat and stared at her, noting her features.

From the looks of it, the girl is short, her legs are far from reaching the foot of the bed. She is very thin, probably because she was lying for months already. Her complexion is very pale and sallow, brought by the lack of exposure to sunlight. Her shoulder length, black hair scattered on her pillow in messy waves. Her eyebrows are thick and curved in a nice line. She has long eyelashes and it made her eyes attractive even if they are closed. Her lips have thickness to them and were pale pink. She has the innocent type of face.