Chapter 201 Surrender

The earnest appearance of Xu Pangzi gave Zhang Yi a strangely familiar feeling. There had been people like him in Zhang Yi's past. Not adept at socializing, growing up in rather ordinary circumstances, his personality had always carried a hint of inferiority due to a lack of friends. As he grew older, his poor social skills prevented him from making many friends. Therefore, whenever someone showed him a little kindness, he would open up completely. However, after being deceived by those he considered friends, he began to doubt reality and immersed himself in the world of anime.These characteristics were extremely evident in Xu Pangzi. Especially his excessive empathy, being able to consider things from the perspective of Zhang Yi, who had killed hundreds in his village. Seeing Xu Pangzi like this lessened Zhang Yi's desire to harm him. However, he wasn't completely at ease and deliberately said, "You're quite magnanimous! Among the people I killed, there must have been some of your relatives, right? Don't you want to avenge them?"Zhang Yi stared at Xu Pangzi's face. If there was any hint of a change in expression, he might strike first and deal with him later. Yet, the sudden change he anticipated didn't occur. Xu Pangzi just lowered his eyes and said with a hint of sadness, "My parents... they both died shortly after the snowstorm.""My father had a heart attack. On the first day of the sudden temperature drop, his heart gave out. With the heavy snow, we couldn't get him to the hospital or find an ambulance, so he died at home.""And my mother, being frail, passed away in bed a week later."A trace of apology appeared on Xu Pangzi's face. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to tell you all this.""After all, there's nothing joyful about these matters, and I apologize if it affects your mood."He gave an awkward smile, his expression slightly embarrassed.Zhang Yi fell silent for a moment before asking, "What about the rest of your family? Aren't the people in Xu Village all part of the same family?""The same family? Hmm... sort of!" Xu Pangzi's expression was somewhat bewildered, as if he found the statement reasonable but also puzzling."Although we are of the same clan, no one in my family has ever regarded me highly. In their eyes, I'm just a useless person who only knows how to play computer games at home."Xu Pangzi scratched his head with a smile. "You see, if they treat me like this, how much affection can I have for them?""So, I don't harbor any hatred towards you for killing the people in Xu Village. On the contrary, I admire you.""When you were driving and chasing us with a sniper rifle, you were so cool!"As Xu Pangzi spoke, his eyes shone with admiration. He dreamed of being such a cool hero! To have everyone in the village admire him and stop seeing him as a deadbeat or worthless.Zhang Yi stared at Xu Pangzi for a long time, and Xu Pangzi felt particularly nervous. Because, from start to finish, he didn't understand much about Zhang Yi's abilities and could only guess vaguely that it had to do with spatial manipulation. But one thing was certain, Zhang Yi's ability completely countered his. So, in a fight between them at their current distance, he had no chance of winning!After a full minute, Zhang Yi spoke slowly, "Well, since you've come to seek reconciliation, I'll give you a chance!""I have no interest in your village, and those muggles can't affect me much. But you, you're interesting. So, for your sake, I can spare Xu Village."Zhang Yi knew how to deal with people like Xu Pangzi. Timid and sensitive, as long as you gave him some affirmation, he would pour his heart out to you. So, he needed to be gentle, not coercive.Sure enough, when Xu Pangzi heard this, he was instantly excited. To spare Xu Village for his sake? Didn't that mean he had earned Zhang Yi's approval? For him, being acknowledged by someone as powerful as Zhang Yi was a tremendous honor!"Thank you!" Xu Pangzi said moved."Don't get too excited yet! I have other demands," Zhang Yi continued. "From now on, I need you to follow my orders without resistance. You cannot refuse any of my requests."Having underlings with powerful ice and snow abilities, Zhang Yi still hoped to recruit Xu Pangzi. Since killing him and the people of Xu Village wouldn't directly benefit Zhang Yi, he might as well extend an olive branch to Xu Pangzi and bring him under his command.Upon hearing this demand, Xu Pangzi hesitated slightly. "Any request?" This broad concept made him worry. What if Zhang Yi targeted him one day?Zhang Yi could sense his concern and smirked. "I won't send you to your death!"Keeping Xu Pangzi around was to have a useful ally when dealing with difficult enemies in the future. Seeing Xu Pangzi's indecision, Zhang Yi thought for a moment and then pulled out his trump card."The Fat Otaku, you shouldn't have any resistance to this!" Zhang Yi reached out and retrieved something from the vast warehouse of the alternate dimension, then handed it over."Follow me, and I won't treat you unfairly." At the mention of following Zhang Yi, Xu Pangzi's eyes widened in disbelief. He pointed at himself, "Is this... for me?"Zhang Yi nodded. "I have plenty of stuff like this on hand. And some rare treasures passed down through generations.""As long as you stick with me, I guarantee you'll have your fill of figures, cushions, and game cartridges!"You treat different people with different methods. For someone like Xu Pangzi, other things might not work, but this stuff would definitely get him on board!With a cry of joy, Xu Pangzi rushed forward and hugged the precious figure of Rei Ayanami, his body trembling with excitement."Zhang Yi, you're also an otaku! So, do you... like Asuka?" Xu Pangzi looked at Zhang Yi expectantly.After a moment of silence, Zhang Yi shook his head slowly. "I'm not a child anymore."Xu Pangzi's face fell, and he lowered his head sadly."That's... right," he said dejectedly.Zhang Yi sneered, "Only a beginner-level otaku like you would like her! In my heart, Rias Gremory is the best!"The dim light in Xu Pangzi's eyes reignited. It was the taste of finding a community.